Why are we asking for your personal information?
The personal information you submit on the My Account system will be used to:
- View your account for business rates, change your personal details or set up a Direct Debit.
- Tell us if you are moving, want to apply for a discount, set up or change a Direct Debit.
The legal basis allowing us to process your data will vary depending upon your specific enquiry, but will predominantly be necessary for us to carry out our legal obligation as laid out in the Local Government Finance Act 1988 (for premises within the BID area this could also include obligations under The Business Improvement Districts Regulations).
Failure to provide the information could result in your continued liability to pay business rates on the property, which if they remain unpaid, could result in prosecution.
We may automate decisions and will inform you if we have done this as soon as reasonably practicable and provide you with access to our Data Protection Policy.
You hold the following rights with regard to the personal data you provide us:
- Right to Access – You have the right to access (receive a copy) of your personal data and supplementary information.
- Right to Rectification – You have the right to have any inaccurate or incomplete personal data rectified.
- Right to object to us processing your personal data where you have an objection on “grounds relating to your particular situation”.
- Right to Restriction – You have the right to request a restriction of the processing of your personal data in situations where it is inaccurate, unlawful, and no longer needed for the purposes for which it was originally collected, or if a withdrawal of consent has been made.
We may process the information you provide to prevent and detect fraud in any of our systems and may supply information to government agencies, credit reference agencies, audit or other external bodies for such purposes. We participate in the governments National Fraud Initiative.
We only keep your information as long as necessary, for some items this will be dictated by law. You can find out more in our Retention Policy found on our 'Privacy notice' page.
We do not routinely process any information about you outside the UK. We will not transfer your personal data outside of the EU.
Cambridge City Council is a registered Data Controller with the Information Commissioners Office.
You can find out more about how we handle your data on our 'Privacy notice' page.
If you have a query regarding your rights please contact the Data Protection Officer who can be contacted by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or you can write to us and mark your letter for the attention of the Data Protection Officer.
You have the right to lodge a complaint with the Information Commissioners Office (ICO) should you believe any part of this statement to be unlawful.