By becoming more energy efficient, your business can take control of its energy use, reducing avoidable loss and cutting bills.
Energy saving has many other benefits, including increased productivity, a more comfortable working environment, increased competitiveness and increased profitability.
Improving energy efficiency and reducing carbon emissions:
Support programmes and projects
- Set up a green office team to promote green messages and set up environmental initiatives at work.
- The Business Energy Efficiency Cambridge and Peterborough programme provides free support to help eligible organisations become more energy efficient. Eligible businesses can access a range of funded services including onsite energy reviews, grant support, and specialist technical consultancy.
- Carbon Trust Smart SMEs includes tools, guides, and links to support and resources. It also includes practical advice to help SMEs reduce their energy overheads and improve their bottom line. Their SME Carbon Network (requires login) is a free, online community designed to help share knowledge and best practice.
START2ACT is an energy-efficiency support programme. Businesses taking part in START2ACT will receive three visits from a Carbon Trust expert. The visit will identify low-cost energy saving opportunities, and provide support with understanding and managing energy. It includes a training pack with top tips, easy-to-use templates, checklists and energy saving materials.
- Travel for Cambridgeshire (TfC) can assist organisations to develop sustainable travel plans and arrange cycle training for staff.
Tools, publications and guides
- Energy is one of the largest controllable overheads in office buildings, which means there are many opportunities to make savings. Download the Carbon Trust's energy saving guide for office based companies to learn about the key energy saving opportunities available.
- SME Guide to Energy Efficiency (2015) which sets out low-cost measures that small and medium businesses can start saving energy.
- Carbon Trust Lighting Guide: Energy efficient lighting advice for your organisation, including guidance on energy-saving LED lighting.
- The Carbon Trust's carbon footprint calculator is designed to help SME businesses measure their corporate emission footprint
- The Carbon Trust's heating, ventilation and air conditioning guide can help you improve your organisation's energy efficiency.
- How to be a Good Supplier: Guide to managing energy issues and improving environmental credentials of your business