Skip To Main Content

Cambridge City Council

Get your coronavirus vaccination at walk-in clinics in and around Cambridge – no appointment needed, but wear a face mask

Discounts for disabled people

If your property has been adapted to meet the needs of a disabled person (adult or child) we may be able to reduce your bill by putting your property into a lower council tax band. If your property is in the lowest band already we may still be able to reduce your bill (usually a reduction of 1/9th of a Band D level).

The property must be the main home of the disabled person.

The property must have at least one of these:

  • a room which is not a bathroom, a kitchen or a lavatory and which is mainly used by a disabled person and is essential, or of major importance, to their welfare; or
  • a bathroom or kitchen which is not the only bathroom or kitchen within the dwelling which is necessary to  meet the needs of the disabled person; or
  • sufficient floor space to permit the use of a wheelchair required for meeting the needs of to meet the needs of the disabled person.

Apply for a disability reduction

You don't have to have made any adaptations to the property yourself. 

The disability reduction can only be backdated to the beginning of the financial year. Therefore a new application form is required each year.

You must notify us in writing within 21 days if there is no longer an entitlement to the reduction either because the qualifying individual has moved out or there is a change in circumstances.

We may visit the property to check the details - we'll contact you to make an appointment.

Severe mental impairment

A 25% discount might be applied if only two adults live in your property and one of them has a severe mental impairment of intelligence or social function. It does not matter how the impairment was caused, but it must be or appear to be permanent.

You might also be exempt from council tax if you live alone and have a severe mental impairment of intelligence or social function.

Appealing our decision

You can appeal if you disagree with any decision relating to liability, discounts, reductions or exemptions.