In 2017 we ran an evidence-based and strategic review of community provision, to help inform the development of a Community Centres Strategy.
Four key principles underpinned the review and development of the proposals within this strategy. The proposals will:
- provide the council with a clear corporate steer now and for the future
- be supported by robust evidence
- support change from current provision to the future vision in a supportive way
- be developed in a way that seeks to avoid creating instability for the local community
Following public consultation, we published our Community Centres Strategy in 2019.
The strategy seeks to realign council-supported provision and deliver the following outcomes:
- Council-supported community centres located in the right areas of the city to address the greatest needs.
- Flexible community development resources and activities that can meet changing needs of the city.
- Financially sustainable community development resources and activities that provide accessible, joined up services to residents.
- Community resources that effectively contribute to the delivery of our corporate priorities in a cost-efficient way.