Become a taxi driver
A new applicant is someone who has never been granted a licence by Cambridge City Council.
Visit our renew a taxi licence page to find out what you need to do to renew your driver's licence.
In order to commence the new driver application process you must first register to take the Cambridge City Council Safeguarding and Knowledge Test. Only once you have completed all elements may you continue with the application process.
- Hold a full valid driving licence which you have held for 12 months, issued to your current address
- Be able to provide evidence that you have the right to live and work in the UK
- Have read and understood the Hackney Carriage and Private Hire Handbook and Policy documents
Please note: You are permitted twelve months in total to complete the entire application process (from initial registration of the Safeguarding and Knowledge Test to grant of licence).
If you're applying for a hackney carriage driver's licence, you should know we're currently limiting the number of hackney carriage vehicles allowed to operate in the city and our waiting list is full.
The Application Process
Step 1 - Safeguarding and Knowledge Test (SAKT) Registration
In order to register for the Safeguarding of Knowledge Test you must:
- Complete a New Driver Safeguarding and Knowledge Test Registration Form [PDF, 149kB]
- Pay the appropriate fees which can be paid over the telephone on 01223 457888. The fees for the Safeguarding Training and Knowledge Tests are charged separately.
- Submit the completed form to email@example.com
Step 2 - Safeguarding and Knowledge Test Booking
Once payment and your registration has been received, this will be logged on to our system and a Safeguarding and Knowledge Test (SAKT) session date and time will be emailed to you within 10 working days.
Please note: If you are unable to make the date which has been scheduled for you, please contact the customer service centre on 01223 457888 as soon as possible in order to rearrange the date.
We reserve the right to cancel this session where there the minimum number of attendees is not met or where staff are unavailable. If we do cancel a session you will be offered to attend on an alternative date at no extra charge.
Step 3 - Attending the Safeguarding and Knowledge Test (SAKT) session
The session is comprised of three elements:
- Delivery of the Customer Awareness: Safeguarding, Equality and Protection training course;
- Sitting of the Safeguarding Test; and
- Sitting of the Knowledge Test.
You must attend the training course and then pass both tests before you can progress to the next stage of application.
You will only need to pay to take the training course once. If you would like to take the course again then the standard fee will apply.
Each applicant has 4 attempts in total to pass the safeguarding and knowledge tests. Please note you will need to pay for each occasion you take the Knowledge Test. You can re-sit the Safeguarding Test free of charge.
If after a year from your registration you have not passed both tests then, your details will be removed from our system.
Please note: no refunds are given in the event of missed or failed tests, or if, as stated above, you do not pass both tests within a year.
Step 4 - Driver Application
Only once you have successfully passed the Safeguarding and Knowledge Test can you proceed to the second stage of the application process.
You will need to make an appointment with the customer service centre on 01223 457888 in order to do this.
Step 5 - At the Second Stage Appointment
- Completed Driver Application Form [PDF, 250kB]
- Completed Equality and Diversity Monitoring Form [PDF, 118kB]
- Evidence of eligibility to live and work in the UK
- Identification for Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) Check
- DBS Update Service Information (where applicable)
- Completed Data Protection Mandate [PDF, 154kB]
- Certificate of Good Conduct (where applicable)
- 2 Passport Sized Photographs
- The total fee for the DBS check and Data Check (£52)
Our Hackney Carriage and Private Hire Licensing Policy and Handbook provides advice and guidance to applicants and licence holders on the law relating to the operation of Hackney Carriage and Private Hire Vehicles.
Step 6 - Taxi Driver Test
You will need to successfully pass a taxi driver test/assessment with one of the following three providers:
Diamond Advanced Drivers – Standard Taxi Test
- Book on the Diamond website
- Telephone: 020 8253 0120
Green Penny - Standard Taxi Assessment
- Book on the Green Penny website
- Telephone: 0330 111 7230
The Blue Lamp Trust – Taxi Driver Assessment
- Book on the Blue Lamp Trust website
- Telephone: 0333 777 0157
You will be responsible for arranging a test with the above provider direct. Please contact the provider for details of charges. You will also need to supply your own vehicle for the test.
When you have passed either test you will be issued with a certificate, which you will then need to bring into Customer Services so a copy can be taken. Alternatively you can ask the course provider to e-mail a copy of the certificate to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please note that the test certificate will only be accepted if it is dated within 12 months of the completion of all stages of the application process.
Step 7 - Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS)
In order to determine whether an individual is 'fit and proper' to hold a licence, a DBS check must be undertaken. The DBS will carry out a range of checks on your application information and provide any relevant feedback on a DBS Certificate.
Step 8 - Group II Medical Certificate
You must arrange to have a Group II Medical Assessment, with your own GP or one of our approved GPs.
- There is a fee for the certificate, contact the individual medical practice for information and prices.
- Go to our medical certificate page to find out more.
Step 9 - Assessment of Application
Only once ALL required documentation has been received will your application be assessed by the Licensing Team.
Step 10 - Licence and Badge
- Your badge and licence will only be issued once you have passed all of the application procedures.
- There are no exemptions to bypass any the application procedures and once all parts have been completed you will need to pay the licence fee.
Other fees are outlined on our fees for taxi licensing page.