Skip To Main Content

Cambridge City Council

Cost of living support - grants, vouchers and advice to help you manage the rising cost of living.

Advice for Gypsy, Roma and Traveller people


Traveller sites

There are several local authority traveller sites in Cambridgeshire:

There are limited places at the sites and each site has its own waiting list, which is often long. To find out more about pitches and how the sites are run, contact the district councils.

Support with homelessness

If you need help with a homelessness application, read get help to avoid becoming homeless.

You can also call us on 01223 457918, from 9am to 5pm. Outside of office hours – between 5pm and 9am, and on weekends and public holidays – phone 0330 053 8109 for emergencies about homelessness.

Calls are charged at the same rates as calls to landlines, and are included in inclusive minutes packages.

Access to social housing

We have a single point of contact for Gypsy, Roma and Traveller people needing support with Home-Link, the online application system we use for accessing social housing.

You can contact our housing advice team by phone on 01223 457918 to request assistance completing a Home-Link application if you do not have access to the internet.

You can book an appointment for assistance with an Assessment and Support Officer or Housing Advice Coordinator. You will need to state that you are from a Gypsy, Roma or Traveller background. Appointments will take place at Mandela House, 4 Regent Street, Cambridge, CB2 1BY between 10am and 3pm.

You will require a National Insurance number to register for social housing. You will also require a method of contact such as a valid phone number, email address of contact address.

Unauthorised encampments

If you set up an unauthorised encampment, whom you meet will depend on the type of land you are on.

If you are on privately owned land then it could be the landowner who first visits you, however, if the landowner reports trespass to the police, it might be the police you first meet.

If we are the landowner, a council officer will visit you. You will be asked questions about your situation, your health and welfare, and if you need any other support.

Unless anyone in your group has specific needs, we may take legal action. We will also leave you rubbish sacks and arrange to collect them.

If the landowner is Cambridgeshire County Council, or your camp is on a right of way or a highway, a Cambridgeshire County Council officer will visit.

Legal action

Legal action will most likely result in a civil court order for possession, which will be posted at the site and enforcement will follow. If private landowners act under common law, eviction can be very swift and bailiffs can be present within hours.

While trespass is a civil offence, if the group's behaviour goes against the Criminal Justice and Public Order Act 1994, or if there is evidence of criminal activity, Cambridgeshire police can take action.

Advice and advocacy


For advice on school admissions in Cambridgeshire, contact Cambridgeshire County Council on 0345 045 1370.

For home school liaison contact Cambridgeshire County Council on 01223 703542.

Reporting hate crime

Racial Harassment Service, Cambridge City Council

Call our Racial Harassment Service on 01223 457967 or 07973 883 261. For further information visit the racial harassment webpage.

Report Racism Gypsy, Roma, Traveller

There is a national service managed by Gypsy and Traveller Empowerment Hertfordshire for Gypsy, Roma and Traveller people to report hate crimes. Visit Report Racism Gypsy, Roma, Traveller for more information.


If you want advice on any health issues, you should be able to see any local GP or dentist, even if you are not registered.

The NHS also has a Gypsy and Traveller Health Team. You can call them on 01353 724220.

You can also get 24-hour help and advice by calling 111.