Why take part in a community litter pick?
By joining a local group you'll be meeting like minded people and getting to know your neighbours.
- Working together with others in your community you will harness local support for cleaning up litter
- You'll be taking action on an issue that you care about
- You'll live in a nicer, cleaner and better looking environment after taking part in a few local litter picks
- You'll be out in the fresh air!
If you're considering a larger community clear up in your area, and larger items of waste and graffiti need to be removed, we may also be able to help.
We're looking for volunteers to help run our stall at the following events, and help clear litter afterwards. Please contact us if you can help.
- Sunday 19 August: Jesus Green meeting at the pavilion/toilet block. 10am - midday.
- Saturday 8 September: Community environment day at Wulfstan Way
- Date to be confirmed in September or October: Community environment day at Ditton Fields
- Further litter pick events in August and September can be found in this leaflet [PDF, 330KB]
Protective clothing and equipment
The following items should be used at all times by volunteers undertaking litter picks:
- Reflective hi-visibility waistcoats to clearly highlight volunteers to traffic and pedestrians.
- Litter pickers to avoid direct contact with litter and repetitive bending.
- Gloves to minimise contact with any noxious or dangerous materials.
- Suitable footwear and clothing
We can, subject to availability, provide reflective hi-visibility waistcoats, gloves and litter pickers.
You can earn 'Time Credits' for your time as an volunteer. Every hour of involvement with us earns you a 1-hour time credit – which can be spent in places like cinemas, gyms, swimming pools or music venues. The more time you give the more time credits you get.
There are lots of ways to spend Time Credits across Cambridgeshire, and hundreds of ways to spend them across the country. You can earn and spend in a way that suits you. Visit the Just Add Spice website to see some of the places you can spend Time Credits.
Litter picking pack
If you're thinking of organising an event, download a copy of our
If you'd like to organise a litter pick or community clear up event, or to find out more, contact Rina Dunning, Operations Co-ordinator on email@example.com or call 01223 458084.