If you offer tattooing, semi-permanent skin colouring, cosmetic piercing, or electrolysis, you must be registered with the council. Apprentices must also be registered.
If you work from premises, they must also be registered. Once registered, you will be issued with a certificate of registration.
Please ensure to keep us updated of any changes to practitioners at any premises registered for skin piercing practices.
Download the relevant application form from the GOV.UK website:
- Application for a licence to carry out acupuncture, tattooing, piercing or electrolysis
- Application to change a tattooists, piercing and electrolysis licence
Tacit approval does not apply. Please contact us if you have not heard from us within 40 days.
When completing the application please make sure to read the following documents:
- Premises registration: £140
- Personal (practitioner) registration: £54
You must provide specific information including details of your premises. You must also declare any previous convictions for practicing without a licence in this field.
Inspection and enforcement
Tattoists are inspected annually by an enforcement officer.
Practitioners offering: cosmetic piercing, acupuncture and electrolysis, will be inspected an enforcement officer on a risk based schedule.
During the inspection the inspecting officer(s) will look at the following areas:
- Suitability of fixtures and fittings
- Storage and sterilisation of equipment/facilities
- Cleanliness and washing facilities
- Record keeping
- Any other relevant health and safety issues