We’ve collated resources and advice to help you to stay active and well at home.
To stay up to date, subscribe to our newsletter or follow us on social media:
General fitness activities
- Download the Better Leisure app to access their virtual fitness classes for free. You do not need to be a member.
- Sport England’s Join the Movement gives tips, advice and guidance on how to keep active in and around your home.
- The NHS provides a series of 10-minute workouts that are great to do at home and short enough to easily fit into your daily schedule.
Online ‘return to fitness’ programme
If you’d like to get more active and try a variety of exercise classes, sign up for our ‘return to fitness’ programme. It’s suitable for adults (ages 18 and over) who want to get more active.
We can’t currently run sessions at sports centres, so we’re running it online – you can take part when and where it suits you. You can start the online course at any time.
When you register, you’ll receive access to 8 different video workouts and healthy lifestyle tips that you can work through at your own pace. All the sessions have been recorded by Cambridge-based fitness instructors.
Walk Before You Run
Our free 4-week online course is designed to support you to improve your walking fitness before starting a beginners’ running programme.
- 3 weekly walking sessions and a 15-minute strength workout each week
- Complete the sessions at a time, place and pace to suit you
- Find out more about the Walk Before You Run programme
Healthy You virtual fitness festival
The Healthy You virtual fitness festival took place on 9 and 10 January 2021. It showcased a range of different fitness and wellbeing activities delivered by local instrcutors and organisations.
You can still watch the Healthy You videos on YouTube – if you missed the festival or want to repeat a session, you can!
Online weight management circuit class
The weight management class is suitable for adults who are trying to lose or maintain a healthy weight. The class combines a mix of circuit and dance-based exercises that are adapted to the needs of each participant.
If you want to increase your activity levels to support your weight loss journey, these classes are ideal for you.
- Tuesdays, 6 to 7pm on Zoom
- £3 per session
- Book your place on the weight management circuit class
We are currently offering the first 6 sessions free to new starters. Email us to claim this offer.
Activities for families
- Get the whole family active with our Mobile Adventures activity trails.
- Follow Joe Wicks on YouTube for 20-minute workouts on Monday, Wednesday and Friday mornings.
- Take part in our Activity Master Challenge during the lockdown period and get the whole family active and having fun!
- Join our free lockdown disco on Zoom every Friday from 5.15 to 6pm for fun, retro, disco dance for the whole family.
Activities for kids and teenagers
- Cambridge United Community Trust’s Learn at Home Resources introduce you to match reports, fractions in sport, and more.
- Stay Active with Premier Education will support your children’s health and wellbeing at home with free and easy resources. The Premier Education YouTube channel has PE lessons inclluding gymnastics, street dance, yoga and more.
- Youth Sport Trust provides free physical eduction and sport teaching resources for teachers and parents.
- Funetics helps your children to be healthy, active, confident and happy.
Activities for teenagers
- Cambridge United Community Trust’s Premier League Kicks programme of football and sport sessions is for local children aged 8 to 18.
- Our summer yoga for teenagers course is six weekly 30-minute sessions designed specifically for teenagers.
- Look out for our teen dance fitness weekly online sessions, coming soon!
- The POPSUGAR Fitness YouTube channel provides workouts with celebrity trainers and fitness experts, covering boxercise, dance, pilates and high-intensity training.
- Forever Active offers weekly online classes including strength and balance, yoga, tai chi, zumba, pilates and exercise to music.
- Tune in to 10Today for 10-minute audio and video workouts to get you stretching and moving at home.
- Move it or Lose it is a YouTube channel dedicated to keeping people active in later life.
Disability and long-Term conditions
- Watch our Let’s Get Moving Cambridge channel on YouTube, which includes tips and guides on how to exercise at home. The videos are ideal for people with health conditions or long-term illness, and for older people.
- Cambridge United Community Trust provide weekly face-to-face and online sessions for people with disabilities.
- Able2b@home offer weekly online sessions that are adapted for all abilities. Sessions include boxercise, conditioning and relaxation classes lasting around 30 minutes each.
- Sport England’s Join the Movement has a directory of online exercise platforms, including for people with long-term health conditions.
- Sense Arts, Sports and Wellbeing (registration required) is a collection of accessible programmes that give everyone the time and space to take part.
- We Are Undefeatable is led by 15 health and social care charities to support and inspire you to get active. Their YouTube channel has many videos that you can follow from home.
- Mind provides lots of tips to help support your mental health and wellbeing during the coronavirus pandemic, including a useful checklist.
Outdoor parks and green spaces
- Visit our parks and playgrounds page for more information on your local open spaces.