You need a licence to become a market trader.
The general market (Market Square)
Availability is on a week-to-week basis. You must complete a market stall licence application form (available below).
You must be able to begin trading within 28 days of submitting your application. If you are a new food business you must have registered with your local authority – find out more about food business registration.
- A stall at Market Square costs as little as £10 per day, depending on location and day of the week
- An additional premium is charged for hot food traders and casual trading (for existing traders)
- Hot food traders must use flame-retardant sheeting that complies with BS7837 to cover non-serving aspects of their stall. We can provide appropriate sheeting, subject to availability, for a deposit of £150
- License amendment costs £30
Stalls come with:
- two power points
- a 16-amp fuse
- stall framework and top sheet
- cardboard recycling
- refuse facility
- washroom facility
- Market application form [PDF, 1MB]
- Market regulations [PDF, 0.3MB]
- General market information [PDF, 0.3MB]
- Direct debit form [PDF, 0.2MB]
Please allow 14 days for your application to be processed – at busy times this may be longer.
We are currently not accepting applications for hot food vendors.
General market layout
The image below shows the layout of the stalls in Market Square, and the price bands.
Mondays and Tuesdays
- Premium: £21.15
- Standard: £10
Wednesdays, Thursdays and Fridays
- Premium: £21.15
- Standard: £17.50
Saturdays and Sundays
- Premium: £40.61
- Standard: £33.36
- Hot-food premium: £7.51
- Casual trading premium: £5
- Storage unit: £18.03
- There's no parking for market traders.
- Unloading times are from 6.30 to 9.30am, and your vehicle must be removed after unloading.
- Loading is permitted after 4pm.
All Saints Garden art and craft market
- To apply for a stall at the craft market in All Saints Garden complete an application_form [PDF, 1MB]
- ASG Trader Guidelines [PDF, 0.2MB]
- All Saints Garden info [PDF, 0.7MB]
- Weekdays: £15.86
- Saturdays: £33.56