You need a licence to become a market trader.
The general market (Market Square)
Availability is on a week-to-week basis. You must complete a market stall licence application form (available below).
You must be able to begin trading within 28 days of submitting your application. If you are a new food business you must have registered with your local authority – find out more about food business registration.
- A stall at Market Square costs as little as £10 per day, depending on location and day of the week
- An additional premium is charged for hot food traders and casual trading (for existing traders)
- Hot food traders must use flame-retardant sheeting that complies with BS7837 to cover non-serving aspects of their stall. We can provide appropriate sheeting, subject to availability, for a deposit of £150
- License amendment costs £30
Stalls come with:
- two power points
- a 16-amp fuse
- stall framework and top sheet
- cardboard recycling
- refuse facility
- washroom facility
- Market application form [PDF, 2MB]
- Market regulations [PDF, 358KB]
- General market information [PDF, 332KB]
- Direct debit form [PDF, 237KB]
Please allow 14 days for your application to be processed – at busy times this may be longer.
General market layout
The image below shows the layout of the stalls in Market Square, and the price bands.
Mondays and Tuesdays
- Premium: £20.63
- Standard: £10
Wednesdays, Thursdays and Fridays
- Premium: £20.63
- Standard: £17.07
Saturdays and Sundays
- Premium: £39.62
- Standard: £32.55
- Hot-food premium: £7.33
- Casual trading premium: £5
- Storage unit: £18.03
- There's no parking for market traders.
- Unloading times are from 6.30 to 9.30am, and your vehicle must be removed after unloading.
- Loading is permitted after 4pm.
All Saints Garden art and craft market
- To apply for a stall at the craft market in All Saints Garden complete an application_form [PDF, 2MB]
- ASG Trader Guidelines [PDF, 201KB]
- All Saints Garden info [PDF, 705KB]
- Weekdays: £15.86
- Saturdays: £33.56