The Local Plan is used to guide decisions on matters ranging from the location of housing, schools, parks and open spaces to the design requirements of new buildings. Policies in the Local Plan are used when decisions on planning applications are made.
The current Local Plan for Cambridge was adopted in 2006 and it is now time to review it. The issues and options consultation marked the start of the process: a public consultation was held, asking the public for their views on the issues and options that should be covered in the Local Plan.
Issues and options report
The Issues and Options Report [PDF, 34MB] was prepared and asked the public to comment on key issues that had been identified, and for views on our suggested policy options and how to address them.
It also provided the public with an opportunity to suggest any issues that they felt should be addressed, comment on which of the options they thought were the most appropriate, or tell us about any other options that they may have thought of.
If you would like a brief overview of the report, we also created a summary document [PDF, 3MB]as a short guide to the document.
The consultation was open for six weeks, from 15 June to 27 July 2012 and included the issues and options consultation and a sustainability appraisal consultation. We received an astounding 11,000 comments. You can now view these comments online.
A full list of the consultation documents can be viewed below.
- Letter about the consultation [PDF, 70KB]
- Public notice [PDF, 67KB]
- Issues and Options Report [PDF, 34MB]
- Issues and Options Report summary [PDF, 3MB]
- Sustainability Appraisal and non-technical summary [PDF, 3MB] and errata [PDF, 113KB]
- Guidance note for responding [PDF, 448KB]
- Issues and Options Report consultation response form [RTF, 137KB]
- Sustainability Appraisal consultation response form [RTF, 137KB]
- Background documents
- Statement of consultation [PDF, 3MB]
- Reply to the consultation online
Printed copies of the documents can be purchased from the customer service centre:
- Issues and Options Report: £18 (£21.50 including postage)
- Summary document: £3.50 (£6 including postage)
- Sustainability Appraisal: £8.50 (£12 including postage)
A series of exhibitions were also held throughout the city for people wishing to ask any questions, raise any comments or talk to the officers involved in the production of the Issues and Options Report and its sustainability appraisal. Dates and venues of when these exhibitions were held are listed below.
|19 June, 3-8pm||West Cambridge Sports Pavilion|
|23 June, 10am-3pm||Meadows Community Centre|
|26 June, 3-8pm||Barnwell Baptist Church|
|30 June, 10am-3pm||Trumpington Village Hall|
|3 July, 3.30-8pm||Cherry Hinton Village Centre|
|4 July, 10am-8pm||The Guildhall|
|7 July,||A stall at the Big Weekend|
|10 July, 3-8pm||Brown's Field Community Centre|
|13th July 4pm-8pm||Newnham Croft Primary School|
|14 July, 1-5pm||Ross Street Community Centre|
|16 July, 10am-8pm||The Guildhall|
|25 July 12pm-2pm||Addenbrookes Concourse (outside the food court)|
What happens next?
We analysed and considered all your responses, using them to refine the policies that will be included in the Local Plan.