Skip To Main Content

Cambridge City Council

Check the latest coronavirus information, including what support is available and how it has affected our services

Food business registration

All premises used for a food business are required by law to be registered. This includes market stalls, delivery vehicles and other mobile food premises.

Registration allows local authorities to keep an up-to-date list of all those premises in their area so they can visit them when they need to.

The frequency of the visits will depend on the type of business.

We recommend you read the Food Standards Agency's information about starting a food business and food hygiene for businesses before registering your business.

Registration cannot be refused and there is no charge. However, if you use the premises in more than one local authority area, you must register with each authority separately.


Visit GOV.UK to apply:

We're working to set up an online payment system for the licences; in the meantime, contact our Customer Service Centre to make your payment (details below).

Your information

A register of addresses and the type of business carried out at these will be open to inspection by the general public.

Other information provided will not be publicly available and will not be disclosed outside of the council, local government departments and government agencies.

The details will by used only for the purpose of registration, enforcement and the protection of public funds.

Changing your information

Once you have registered you only need to notify us if:

  • the business proprietor changes - a new proprietor must complete an application form
  • the nature of the business changes
  • the address at which movable premises are kept changes

If we wish to change the entry in the register because of information received from someone else, you will be given 28 days notice and an opportunity to comment on the proposed change.

If you have any questions about the license or application process, contact our licensing team, details below.

Contact us