We provide a range of free and low-cost activity sessions to help anybody who is experiencing anxiety, depression or other mental ill health. The sessions take place around the city and are open to homeless people.
Activities include badminton, bowls, football, mindfulness exercises, swimming, tai chi, tennis, running and walking. Taster sessions include bushcraft, canoeing, climbing, fishing and more.
The trainer will encourage you to be physically active at the sessions, and to have fun in a social setting. We’ll attend most of the sessions to help you settle in and provide any advice or support you might need.
You can turn up to try any of the sessions. If you want to come back for more, we’ll ask you to join our Invigorate scheme.
Join our Invigorate scheme
It’s free to join Invigorate. Joining means we can keep you up to date about future sessions. It also entitles you to a free Better card, which gives you a 50% discount at some GLL-managed gyms and pools.
All sessions are free to attend unless otherwise stated. Friends, family members or support workers can join the sessions – they will need to pay the same as you do, if there is a charge.
The stretch and relax online classes will change to in-person sessions at Over Stream house from 9 september.
- Wednesdays, 11am to midday: Multi-sport session at the Kelsey Kerridge. Activities include badminton, basketball, short tennis and table tennis and more.
- Wednesdays, 2 to 3pm: Football for homeless service users on Parker’s Piece. Contact Phil Mullen at email@example.com or 07948 407 950 to reserve your place.
- Thursdays, 3 to 4pm: Stretch and relax online class for women. A gentle exercise class designed to strengthen and stretch tired, tight muscles and still the mind.
- Fridays, 11am to midday: Gym session for Invigorate members at Cherry Hinton Village Leisure Centre. £2.50 per session.
We arrange regular guided walks and open sessions around the Cambridge University botanic garden to watch it change with the seasons. The sessions listed below are all unguided open sessions unless stated. Contact us to reserve your place.
- 7 October 2021, 11am – guided walk
- 21 October 2021, 1 to 2pm
- 1 December 2021, 11am to midday
- 6 January 2022, 10 to 11am
- 6 January 2022, 11am – guided walk
- 7 April 2022, 11am – guided walk
- 7 April 2022, 3 to 4pm
- 4 May 2022, midday to 1pm
- 6 June 2022, 6 to 7pm
- 1 August, 5.30 to 6.30pm
- 16 September 2022, 2 to 3pm
- 6 October 2022, 11am – guided walk
- 13 October 2022, 11am to midday
- 6 December 2022, midday to 1pm
We also arrange regular wellbeing walks that can help you become and stay active.
- Reserve your place on a wellbeing walk
You can also watch pre-recorded exercise sessions online. We currently have a six-week self-care programme, and six-week beginners’ pilates and yoga courses.
We have partnered with Cambridge Sport Lakes Trust to offer free taster sessions at Milton Country Park in September. The activities are for people aged 16 and older with disabilities including ill mental health.
- Find out about our ‘have a go’ activities and reserve your place