We provide a bulky household waste collection service for many common household items.
Before you ask us to collect an unwanted large or bulky item, please check whether you can pass it on in another way. For example, you could:
- Donate or sell it online
- Check whether a local charity wants it – they might be able to suggest alternative collection services
- Check whether the company delivering a replacement product can take it away
- Take it to the household recycling centre at Milton or Thriplow
Check our recycling and rubbish A to Z for advice about specific items.
Items we can collect
The request form includes a list of everything we can collect – if you have something that is not listed, you’ll need to find a different way to dispose of it.
Items we will collect include:
- All furniture typically found within the home
- Small electrical appliances
- Bulky items from the garden and garage
- Hazardous items – see below
- One room’s carpet
- Miscellaneous items such as ironing boards
- Up to 3 bags of excess general rubbish and 3 bags of garden waste – use normal bin liners
White goods and hazardous items
We collect white goods and hazardous items separately to other items. We can collect:
- Televisions and computer monitors
- Defrosted and empty fridges and freezers
- Washing machines and tumble driers
- Cookers, hobs and microwaves
Items we cannot collect
We cannot collect:
- Cars, tyres or vehicle batteries
- Chemicals or other hazardous waste
- Oil or items that have been contaminated with oil
- Industrial fridges or American-style fridge-freezers
- Construction materials
- Bathroom suites
- Mobility scooters
This list is not exhaustive – we cannot collect anything that is not listed in the form. Search for specialist disposal companies if you have any items that we cannot collect.
On your collection day
Leave all items near the kerb outside your property or block of flats – please do not block the pavement. We cannot collect anything from inside your property.
Check the weather forecast, and cover anything that might be affected by bad weather.
Please reinforce glass panels and secure them with tape so they do not shatter.
Our collection crew begins work at 6am, so make sure your items are ready for collection by then.
We will not remove any items that you do not include in your request – do not leave any extra items for collection.
Arrange a collection
Submit a request form to arrange a collection.
- Arrange a bulky waste collection
- We can collect a maximum of 9 items per collection
- The first 1, 2 or 3 items cost £30, and each additional item costs £5
- Some larger items count as multiple items – a 3-seater sofa counts as 3 items, for example
- Arrange a white goods or hazardous bulky waste collection
- Each item costs £25 to collect
You’ll be asked to choose a collection date – this will usually be within the next 10 working days. During the coronavirus pandemic you might need to wait a bit longer for your collection. The system only provides the next 3 available dates. If you want to book further in the future, you’ll need to come back nearer the time.
If you cannot arrange and pay for your collection online, or if the form does not include your address, phone us to arrange collection.
Cancel or change a collection
If you want to cancel or change your collection after you have arranged it, phone us by 5pm two working days before your collection date. We might not be able to make any changes or refund your money after this time.
If you want to change the date of your collection, you’ll need to phone us to cancel it and then arrange a new collection online.
We cannot guarantee being able to add extra items to a confirmed collection, because the number of items we can collect each day is limited.