If you are going away for a few days in the winter and you have central heating, leave it running on its lowest setting. This helps to prevent pipes freezing.
If you are going away for more than a week:
- turn off and disconnect all electrical appliances (except your freezer)
- turn off the water at the stop tap
- when you return, drain the hot and cold system of water by turning on the taps and flushing the toilets
- ask a friend or neighbour to keep an eye on your home
- leave your heating on a low setting in the winter