Skip To Main Content

Cambridge City Council

Subscribe to email notifications of our service updates and news releases Sign up now

Coronavirus: Updates and information

Find out about available support and how to offer help. Our customer service centre is open to help you by email and phone. Please continue to follow official NHS and government advice.

Understanding the Brexit process: Advice from the government

The government publishes regularly updated guidance to help individuals and businesses prepare for Brexit.

The guidance provides advice for EU citizens living in the United Kingdom, including advice for EU nationals who wish to stay in the UK after it leaves the EU (the EU Settlement Scheme).

It also provides advice for UK nationals living in the European Union and on how to prepare your business for Brexit.

You can sign up to receive email updates about Brexit. These include information about the article 50 process, negotiations, and announcements about policy changes as a result of Brexit.

Information for residents

EU citizens’ rights

If you are an EU citizen, the Settlement Scheme allows you and your close family members to continue to live and work in the UK after Brexit. 

Settled status means you will remain eligible for:

  • public services, such as healthcare and schools
  • public funds and pensions
  • British citizenship, if you want to apply and meet the requirements.

Check the government website for guidance about the Settlement Scheme. You can also contact the EU Settlement Resolution Centre at or 0300 123 7379.

The scheme fully opened on 30 March 2019. You can sign up to receive email updates about the status of EU citizens in the UK.

The government has translated its guidance on the Settlement Scheme in all 26 EU languages. They have also provided a partnership pack to help community leaders promote the scheme.

Local help with making your application

Unfortunately, these local groups have had to postpone any face-to-face appointments for customers until further notice while the COVID-19 pandemic is still a high threat to public health.  If you need help submitting your application, you can still log your call with We Are Digital on 0333 344 5675.

Cambridge Citizens Advice Bureau (CAB) can help with advice on whether you are entitled to settled status. If you are, they can explain how you can do this yourself by downloading the government app to your smart phone. They can also explain what documents you need to verify who you are, such as a passport.

If you are not able to do this yourself they will explain who locally can help you through the process – see also the information about Cambridge Ethnic Community Forum and Cambridge Online, below.

If you need help from Cambridge CAB, you can phone them during office hours or write to them – find out how to get advice from CAB. They are currently unable to offer face-to-face appointments or drop-in sessions.

Cambridge Ethnic Community Forum (CECF) can provide assisted digital support for people needing help with an application for EU Settled Status through the EU Settlement Scheme. This is by appointment only – you can book an appointment by calling We-Are-Digital on 0333 344 5675.

CECF cannot provide immigration advice on any EEA applications, but they work in partnership with Elm Rose Consultancy, who can. They are a Level 3 OISC accredited immigration business, based in Cambridge, providing the highest level of advice and assistance on all types of immigration matters including family visas, work visas, sponsorship licences, human rights applications, and EEA applications. Book an appointment at CECF’s premises with Elm Rose Consultancy by calling 0207 112 8528.

Local charity Cambridge Online is also able to help you through the government’s EU SS assisted digital project, a service for people needing digital help for EU SS. As with the support offered by CECF, you must contact the co-ordinating organisation, We-are-Digital, on 0333 344 5675 to arrange an appointment with Cambridge Online.

Cambridge Online is not able to provide advice or guidance, they can only help you through the digital process.

Cambridge Central Library also offers assisted digital support with online EU SS applications.

Make sure any body that offers you advice or services relating to immigration matters is properly accredited.

You can find a list of accredited bodies operating in Cambridge on the government’s adviser finder – type ‘Cambridge’ into the ‘postcode or location’ search field.

EFTA citizens’ rights

The government has reached agreements on the rights of citizens of Switzerland and Norway, Iceland and Liechtenstein, allowing them to use the Settlement Scheme. These agreements are subject to ratification. The policy paper includes a statement on EFTA citizens’ rights in the event of no deal.

Driving with an EU licence

Check the guidance on driving in the EU after Brexit.

Information for businesses and employers

The government provides advice about how to prepare your business for Brexit. If you would like to know more and join a future Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy (BEIS) business forum either online or in person, contact

Brexit4Business provides local advice for businesses and employers, funded by the Cambridgeshire and Peterborough Combined Authority.

Settlement scheme for employers

The government has produced an employer toolkit to help explain the Settlement Scheme to employees. The toolkit contains a range of ready to use leaflets and posters.

You might also wish to look at information from trade organisations or bodies such as the Federation For Small Businesses.