Swimming Initiatives, offers and admission policy
Some great offers are available on membership and fitness classes at all the individual centres - for more information go to the GLL website.
General swim admission prices
|Swimmer||Non-member||Pay-and-play member||Pay-and-play student||Pay-and-play concession|
For discounted 'pay and play' member prices, read information below.
Discounted swimming cards
BETTER 'pay & play' cards now replace the old leisurecard scheme and cards can be purchased at any of the 5 Centres, Parkside Pools, Abbey Pools, Cherry Hinton Village Centre, Kings Hedges Learner Pool and Jesus Green (when open). The cards are valid for 12 months from the date of purchase. Just take proof of your address and any benefit entitlement if applicable when purchasing your card.
BETTER 'pay & play' concession cards are available to people receiving benefits* and those aged 60 and over. The card costs £5 for adults and £2.50 for children and can give up to 50% off normal admission prices.
(*Benefits include those receiving income-based job seeker's allowance (JSA), employment & support allowance (ESA), council tax benefits, disability living or working allowance and pensions tax credit).
BETTER 'pay & play' standard cards are available to city residents and cost £10 per adult and £5 per junior and to non city residents costing £30 per adult and £15 per child, giving up to 30% discount on normal admission prices.
BETTER 'pay & play' student cards are available to full time students and cost £7.50, giving up to 35% discount.
Free swimming is available to all BETTER 'pay & play' members under 16, all year round, at the following venues and times:
- Abbey Pools - Tuesday and Thursday between 4pm and 6pm
- Parkside Pools - Monday, Wednesday and Friday between 4pm and 6pm
- Kings Hedges Learner Pool - Saturday, between 1pm and 4pm
- Jesus Green (when operational) Tuesday and Thursday between 4pm and 6pm
Free swimming available to all BETTER 'pay & play' members under 16, during the holidays, from Monday to Saturday before 10am at any of the GLL managed swimming pools - during public sessions.
If you're not a BETTER 'pay & play' member and under 16 you can swim for just £1 at Abbey and Parkside pools on a Tuesday and Friday between 2pm and 4pm and on a Sunday between 3pm and 5pm all through the year.
Did you know, two-fifths of 11 year olds are incapable of swimming 25m unaided? This was one of the findings of the 2013 Kellogg's Amateur Swimming Association Survey. As a result of these findings during 2014/15 we, in partnership with GLL, will be providing:
- Funding for five primary schools, to deliver additional teaching resource in lessons for pupils in year 4,5 and 6.
- Funding for up to 100 pupils in year 5 and 6 who are not predicted to reach Key Stage 2 swimming standard requirements, to access 14 weeks of swimming lessons or attend a crash course of lessons; pupils are identified through referrals by their school's GLL swimming instructor.
- Funding to deliver one-to-one swimming lessons to local disabled children. Lessons are provided by 'level water' for more information see level water flyer [PDF, 279kB]
We already support the schools swimming programme by ensuring GLL provide free pool time for lessons to take place.
In accordance with national guidelines, all children under eight must be accompanied by a parent or guardian, with a maximum of two children per adult.
Carers can enter and participate free of charge when assisting a paying disabled swimmer. A maximum of two carers per swimmer will be admitted for free.
We offer a range of discounts through the BETTER scheme for students, older people and people on low incomes.
Rules for the pools
To improve your swim, we ask that you:
- shower before entering the pool
- read and obey all signs
- familiarise yourself with the pool's depths
- follow the lifeguard's instructions at all times
- wear a buoyancy aid and stay within safe standing depth if necessary
- do not eat or drink alcohol immediately prior to swimming
- tie back long hair
- use the protective blue overshoes provided.
Chesterton Sports Centre swimming pool
The swimming pool at Chesterton Sports Centre is not owned by us.
For more information about the pool, visit the Chesterton Sports centre website.