Sport for young people
Funding from Streetgames UK, Barclays Spaces For Sport and Sports England’s Sportivate scheme, has enabled the development of two Doorstep Sports Clubs, in Abbey and Arbury.
All Streetgames sessions that are currently available as part of the Doorstep sports clubs are free to attend. Recommended age to attend these sessions, unless otherwise stipulated, is 16-25 years old. There are some sessions for 11-15 year olds.
All information about free sport and fitness activities for young people is listed below.
To receive regular updates from the Sports Development department, email your name, email address, ward/district of residence and sporting area of interest to email@example.com. We send updates at least once every three months.
All the sessions listed below are FREE – no booking, just turn up and play!
The sessions are being delivered on our behalf by Universal Sports Coaching, Kinnerz Coaching, Cambridge United FC and Cambridge Tennis Academy. For more information email firstname.lastname@example.org
Arbury Doorstep club
Unless otherwise stated, all sessions take place at North Cambridge Academy sport centre, Arbury Road, CB4 2JF.
- Basketball: Wednesdays, 9 to 11pm (16 years plus)
- Football: Mondays, 9 to 10pm (16 years plus) Inside sports hall
- Pop-Up Tennis at Chesterton Sports Centre: Mondays & Wednesdays, 3.05 to 4pm (11 years plus)
- Multisports: Fridays, 4:30-5:30pm (11 years plus)
- Cambridge Gymnastics Academy Youth Night: Fridays, 7:30-9pm (11 years +) at the gymnastic centre.
Abbey Doorstep club
Unless otherwise stated, all sessions take place at Abbey Leisure Complex.
- Basketball: Fridays, 9 to 10pm (16 years plus)
- Football: Fridays, 9 to 10pm (16 years plus)
- Futsal: Wednesdays, 9 to 10pm (16 years plus)
- Club 1 gym sessions: Saturdays, 11am-12noon (11-15 year olds). Participants must book their first session in advance by calling the Abbey gym reception: 01223 213352. Club 1 rewards to be received at weeks 1, 7, 14 + 20 which include free water bottles, sweatbands, bands and t-shirts! Places are limited.
- Girls only class + swim sessions: Fridays, 6.30-8:30 swimming, 6:45-7:30pm group 'tone' or 'relax' class in the studio, 6:30-8:30pm relax and socialise. First 20 sessions FREE!
- Baseball: April-October only, with Cambridge Baseball Club on Coldhams Common, 5:45-8pm (15 years plus)
Junior Cycling Club
The Cambridge Junior Cycling Club is for 11-16 year olds, and provides a chance to try out cycling in a fun and safe environment with fully qualified coaches.
- Netherhall School, Mondays: 11 to 12 year olds from 6.30pm to 7.30pm; 14 to 16 year olds from 7.30pm (Road)
- Milton Country Park, Saturdays: 11 to 16 year olds from 2pm (MTB)
- £2 per session.
Bring your own bike or borrow one from the club.
A registration form and parental consent form must be completed for all participants before they can join in.