Sport for young people
All information about Sport for young people are listed below:
Funding from StreetGames UK, Barclays Spaces For Sport and Sports England’s Sportivate scheme, has enabled the development of two Doorstep Sports Clubs, in Abbey and Arbury.
All StreetGames sessions are open for young people to attend, with recommended ages from 11-15 years and 16-25 years. Sessions are drop in, informal style and are facilitated by qualified coaches. Most sessions have a minimal cost of £1 per person or are free to attend. No booking required....just turn up and play!
Arbury Doorstep Club
Unless otherwise stated, all sessions take place at North Cambridge Academy sport centre, Arbury Road, CB4 2JF.
- Basketball: Mondays & Wednesdays, 9 to 10:30pm (16 years+) £1 per participant
- Football: Mondays, 9 to 10pm (16 years+) outside on the Astro £1 per participant
- Pop-Up Tennis at Chesterton Sports Centre: Mondays, 3.05 to 4pm (11 years+) FREE
- Football: Fridays, 4:30 to 5:30pm (11 years+) FREE
- Gymnastics Youth Night: Fridays, 7:45 to 9pm (11 years+) at Cambridge Gymnastic Academy, (at North Cambridge Academy). £1 per participant. Places are limited and works on first come first served basis.
- Netball Nights: Ladies only, Thursdays, 7-8pm (14 years+) at Chesterton Sports Centre, outside courts. £1 per participant
Abbey Doorstep Club
Unless otherwise stated, all sessions take place at Abbey Leisure Complex, Pool Way, Whitehill Road, CB5 8NT.
- Futsal: Wednesdays, 9 to 10pm (16 years plus) on the MUGA
- Gym sessions: Saturdays, 11am-12noon (11-15 year olds). FREE. Participants must book their first session in advance by calling the Abbey gym reception: 01223 213352
- Girls only class + swim sessions (14 years plus): Fridays, 6:45-7:30pm group class in the studio (yoga, body conditioning, circuits) and/or 6:30-8:30pm swimming, lifeguarded by female only staff. Part of the 'This Girl Can' Campaign. These are fee paying sessions. For more information visit the Abbey Leisure Complex website
- Baseball: Thursdays, 6-8pm (April-October only), with Cambridge Baseball Club on Coldhams Common, (15 years plus). FREE
Fit and Fed
This year we have also launched our Fit and Fed Scheme, part of the StreetGames project, in response to the growing body of research on the triple inequalities of holiday hunger, isolation, and inactivity.
Working in partnership with Cambridge Holiday Lunch scheme, and funding from TESCO, StreetGames will be present at community centres across the city this summer, where hot lunches will be served to families followed by sport activities for all to join in. These are FREE to all families attending who receive free school meals.
All StreetGames sessions are being delivered on our behalf by Universal Sports Coaching, Kinnerz Coaching, Cambridge Gymnastic Academy and Cambridge Tennis Academy. For more information email email@example.com
Summer Fitness for Girls
We are running six weeks of FREE fitness sessions for girls aged 11 - 18 over the Summer
- Tuesdays 4 - 5pm (starting Tuesday 18th July 2017)
- Six weeks of FREE sessions
- Brown's Field Youth and Community Centre, 31A Green End Road, Cambridge, CB4 1RU
- All participants will receive a FREE t-shirt
- Limited places available
- Register your place by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org or 01223 457039
Junior Cycling Club
The Cambridge Junior Cycling Club is for 11-16 year olds, and provides a chance to try out cycling in a fun and safe environment with fully qualified coaches.
- Netherhall School, Mondays: 11 to 12 year olds from 6.30pm to 7.30pm; 14 to 16 year olds from 7.30pm (Road)
- Milton Country Park, Saturdays: 11 to 16 year olds from 2pm (MTB)
- £2 per session.
Bring your own bike or borrow one from the club.
A registration form and parental consent form must be completed for all participants before they can join in.