Activities for young people
StreetGames promotes neighbourhood Doorstep Sport, which is sport in disadvantaged communities that takes place at the right time, at the right place, in the right style and at the right price.
Funding from StreetGames UK, Barclays Spaces For Sport, and Sports England’s Sportivate scheme has enabled the development of two Doorstep Sports Clubs, one in Abbey and another in Arbury.
All StreetGames sessions are open for young people to attend, with recommended ages from 11-15 years and 16-25 years. Sessions are drop in, informal in style and are facilitated by qualified coaches. Most sessions have a minimal cost of £1 per person or are free to attend. No booking is required - just turn up and play!
Arbury Doorstep Club
Unless otherwise stated, all sessions take place at North Cambridge Academy sport centre, Arbury Road, CB4 2JF.
- Basketball: Mondays and Wednesdays, 9 to 10:30pm (16 years+), £1 per participant.
- Football: Mondays, 9 to 10pm (16 years+), outside on the Astroturf, £1 per participant.
- Pop-Up Tennis: Mondays, 3.05 to 4pm (11 years+) Chesterton Sports Centre, FREE.
- Football: Fridays, 4 to 5pm (11 years+), FREE.
- Gymnastics Youth Night: Fridays, 7:45 to 9pm (11 years+) at Cambridge Gymnastic Academy, (at North Cambridge Academy). £1 per participant. Places are limited and works on first come first served basis.
Abbey Doorstep Club
Unless otherwise stated, all sessions take place at Abbey Leisure Complex, Pool Way, Whitehill Road, CB5 8NT.
- Futsal: Wednesdays, 9 to 10pm (16 years +) on the MUGA.
- Gym sessions: Saturdays, 11am to midday (11-15 year olds), FREE. Participants must book their first session in advance by calling the Abbey gym reception: 01223 213352
- Girls only class + swim sessions (14 years plus): Fridays, 6:45 to 7:30pm - group class in the studio (yoga, body conditioning, circuits) and/or 6:30 to 8:30pm - swimming, lifeguarded by female only staff. Part of the 'This Girl Can' Campaign. These are fee paying sessions. For more information visit the Abbey Leisure Complex website
- Baseball: Thursdays, 6 to 8pm (April - October only), with Cambridge Baseball Club on Coldhams Common, (15 years +), FREE.
Fit and Fed
This year we have also launched our Fit and Fed Scheme, part of the StreetGames project, in response to the growing body of research on the triple inequalities of holiday hunger, isolation, and inactivity.
Working in partnership with Cambridge Holiday Lunch scheme, and funding from TESCO, StreetGames will be present at community centres across the city this summer, where hot lunches will be served to families followed by sport activities for all to join in. These are FREE to all families attending who receive free school meals.
All StreetGames sessions are being delivered on our behalf by Universal Sports Coaching, Kinnerz Coaching, Cambridge Gymnastic Academy and Cambridge Tennis Academy. For more information email email@example.com