Activities for young people
StreetGames promotes neighbourhood Doorstep Sport, which is sport in disadvantaged communities that takes place at the right time, at the right place, in the right style and at the right price.
Funding from StreetGames UK, Barclays Spaces For Sport, and Sports England’s Sportivate scheme has enabled the development of two Doorstep Sports Clubs, one in Abbey and another in Arbury.
All StreetGames sessions are open for young people to attend, with recommended ages from 11-15 years and 16-25 years. Sessions are drop in, informal in style and are facilitated by qualified coaches. Most sessions have a minimal cost of £1 per person or are free to attend. No booking is required - just turn up and play!
Arbury Doorstep Club
- Basketball: Mondays and Wednesdays, 9 to 10.30pm at North Cambridge Academy, 16+ years, £2 per person
- Pop-up tennis: Mondays, 3 to 4pm at Chesterton Sports Centre and Thursdays, 3 to 4pm at North Cambridge Academy, 11+ years, free
- Netball: Thursdays, 7 to 8pm at Chesterton Sports Centre (outside courts), ladies only, 14+ years, £2 per person
- Football and multi-sports: Fridays, 4.30 to 5.30pm at North Cambridge Academy, 11+ years, free
- Gymnastics: Fridays, 8 to 9pm at North Cambridge Academy, 11+ years, £1 per person, limited places (first come, first served)
- Multi-sports: Tuesdays, 5 to 6pm at Meadows Community Centre, years 5 and 6, £1 per person
Abbey Doorstep Club
Unless otherwise stated, all sessions take place at Abbey Leisure Complex, Pool Way, Whitehill Road, CB5 8NT.
- Gym sessions: Saturdays, 11am to midday (11-15 year olds), FREE. Participants must book their first session in advance by calling the Abbey gym reception: 01223 213352
- Football: Thursdays, 3-4pm (Yrs 9-10) at Coleridge Community College. After school club delivered by Cambridge United Trust. FREE
- Girls only swim sessions (14 years plus): Fridays, 7.30 - 8.30pm - swimming, lifeguarded by female-only staff where possible. Normal swimming fees apply. For more information visit the Abbey Leisure Complex website
- Baseball: Thursdays, 6 to 8pm (April - October only), with Cambridge Baseball Club on Coldhams Common, (15 years +), FREE.
Fit and Fed
Our Fit and Fed scheme is part of the StreetGames project. We are running it in response to the growing body of research on the triple inequalities of holiday hunger, isolation, and inactivity.
Working in partnership with our Children and Young People's Participation Service and the Cambridge Holiday Lunch scheme, StreetGames will be present at community centres across the city this summer.
Hot lunches will be served to families followed by sport activities for all to join in. These are free to all families attending who receive free school meals.