Activities for young people
Easter Multi Sport Camps
This Easter we are working in partnership with Anglia Ruskin University and their Sport students to deliver three multi sport activity camps across the city for young people. These activity camps have been planned and programmed by the students and will include a variety of fun team games, sports and activities for all participants. See below for more details:
- Wednesday 4th April, 10am-4pm, North Cambridge Academy - Using both inside and outside sports areas for ages 10yrs+
- Thursday 5th April, 11:30am-4pm, Cherry Hinton Village Centre - Inside activities for ages 5-11yrs.
- Friday 6th April, 10am-4pm, Abbey Leisure Complex - Outside activities for ages 8yrs+
- All participants will need appropriate sports kit, packed lunch, water bottles, sun cream/hat and waterproofs.
All camps are FREE but booking is essential due to limited spaces.
StreetGames promotes neighbourhood Doorstep Sport, which is sport in disadvantaged communities that takes place at the right time, at the right place, in the right style and at the right price.
Funding from StreetGames UK, Barclays Spaces For Sport, and Sports England’s Sportivate scheme has enabled the development of two Doorstep Sports Clubs, one in Abbey and another in Arbury.
All StreetGames sessions are open for young people to attend, with recommended ages from 11-15 years and 16-25 years. Sessions are drop in, informal in style and are facilitated by qualified coaches. Most sessions have a minimal cost of £1 per person or are free to attend. No booking is required - just turn up and play!
Arbury Doorstep Club
All sessions take place at North Cambridge Academy sport centre, Arbury Road, CB4 2JF, or Chesterton Sport Centre, Gilbert Road, CB4 3NY
- Basketball: Mondays and Wednesdays, 9 to 10:30pm (16 years+), £1 per participant, North Cambridge Academy.
- Glow Beatz Fitness Class, Girls only (11yrs+), Tuesdays 4:30 to 5:30pm, Chesterton Community College, Drama Studio (Next to the Sport Centre) £2 (£1 for Chesterton Community College Students). This session is currently not running
- Pop-Up Tennis: Thursdays, 3.05 to 4pm (11 years+) Chesterton Sports Centre, FREE.
- Netball Nights, Ladies Only (14yrs+): Thursdays, 7 to 8pm Chesterton Sports Centre (outside courts). £2 per participant.
- Football & Multi Sports: Fridays, 4:30 to 5:30pm (11 years+), North Cambridge Academy, FREE.
- Gymnastics Youth Night: Fridays, 7:45 to 9pm (11 years+) at Cambridge Gymnastic Academy, (at North Cambridge Academy). £1 per participant. Places are limited and works on first come first served basis.
Abbey Doorstep Club
Unless otherwise stated, all sessions take place at Abbey Leisure Complex, Pool Way, Whitehill Road, CB5 8NT.
- Gym sessions: Saturdays, 11am to midday (11-15 year olds), FREE. Participants must book their first session in advance by calling the Abbey gym reception: 01223 213352
- Football: Thursdays, 3-4pm (Yrs 9-10) at Coleridge Community College. After school club delivered by Cambridge United Trust. FREE
- Girls only swim sessions (14 years plus): Fridays, 7.30 - 8.30pm - swimming, lifeguarded by female-only staff where possible. Normal swimming fees apply. For more information visit the Abbey Leisure Complex website
- Baseball: Thursdays, 6 to 8pm (April - October only), with Cambridge Baseball Club on Coldhams Common, (15 years +), FREE.
Fit and Fed
This year we have also launched our Fit and Fed Scheme, part of the StreetGames project, in response to the growing body of research on the triple inequalities of holiday hunger, isolation, and inactivity.
Working in partnership with Cambridge Holiday Lunch scheme, and funding from TESCO, StreetGames will be present at community centres across the city this summer, where hot lunches will be served to families followed by sport activities for all to join in. These are FREE to all families attending who receive free school meals.
All StreetGames sessions are being delivered on our behalf by Universal Sports Coaching, Kinnerz Coaching, Cambridge Gymnastic Academy and Cambridge Tennis Academy. For more information email firstname.lastname@example.org