Sport for young people
Funding from Streetgames UK, Barclays Spaces For Sport and Sports England’s Sportivate scheme, has enabled the development of two Doorstep Sports Clubs, in Abbey and Arbury.
All Streetgames sessions that are currently available as part of the Doorstep sports clubs are free to attend. Recommended age to attend these sessions, unless otherwise stipulated, is 16-25 years old. There are some sessions for 11-15 year olds.
All information about free sport and fitness activities for young people is listed below.
To receive regular updates from the Sports Development department, email your name, email address, ward/district of residence and sporting area of interest to firstname.lastname@example.org. We send updates at least once every three months.
All the sessions (unless stated otherwise) listed below are FREE – no booking, just turn up and play!
The sessions are being delivered on our behalf by Universal Sports Coaching, Kinnerz Coaching, Cambridge Gymnastic Academy and Cambridge Tennis Academy. For more information email email@example.com
Arbury Doorstep club
Unless otherwise stated, all sessions take place at North Cambridge Academy sport centre, Arbury Road, CB4 2JF.
- Basketball: Monday & Wednesdays, 9 to 10pm (16 years plus)
- Football: Mondays, 9 to 10pm (16 years plus) outside on the Astro
- Pop-Up Tennis at Chesterton Sports Centre: Mondays, 3.05 to 4pm (11 years plus)
- Football: Fridays, 4:30 to 5:30pm (11 years plus)
- Gymnastics Youth Night: Fridays, 7:45 to 9pm (11 years +) at Cambridge Gymnastic Academy, (at North Cambridge Academy). This session costs £1 per partcipant. Places are limited and works on first come first served basis.
Abbey Doorstep club
Unless otherwise stated, all sessions take place at Abbey Leisure Complex, Pool Way, Whitehill Road, CB5 8NT.
- Basketball: Fridays, 9 to 10pm (16 years plus) on the MUGA
- Football: Fridays, 9 to 10pm (16 years plus) on the Astro
- Futsal: Wednesdays, 9 to 10pm (16 years plus) on the MUGA
- Gym sessions: Saturdays, 11am-12noon (11-15 year olds). Participants must book their first session in advance by calling the Abbey gym reception: 01223 213352.
- Girls only class + swim sessions (14 years plus): Fridays, 6:45-7:30pm group class in the studio (yoga, body conditioning, circuits) and/or 6:30-8:30pm swimming, lifeguarded by female only staff. Part of the 'This Girl Can' Campaign. These are fee paying sessions. For more information visit: www.better.org.uk/leisure/abbeyleisurecomplex
- Baseball: April-October only, with Cambridge Baseball Club on Coldhams Common, 5:45-8pm (15 years plus). Day and time TBC.
Junior Cycling Club
The Cambridge Junior Cycling Club is for 11-16 year olds, and provides a chance to try out cycling in a fun and safe environment with fully qualified coaches.
- Netherhall School, Mondays: 11 to 12 year olds from 6.30pm to 7.30pm; 14 to 16 year olds from 7.30pm (Road)
- Milton Country Park, Saturdays: 11 to 16 year olds from 2pm (MTB)
- £2 per session.
Bring your own bike or borrow one from the club.
A registration form and parental consent form must be completed for all participants before they can join in.