Sport and fitness for women and girls
Join the County Sports Partnership #LetsGoGirls Campaign aimed at inspiring women in Peterborough and Cambridgeshire to get moving. The campaign provides information and support on sports and physical activity opportunities for women right across the county.
Follow on Facebook at @LetsGoGirlsInspire
Return to fitness sessions
Do you want to get more active but don’t know where to start? Do you want to be part of a supportive group of like-minded women? Do you want to try some fun new fitness activities?
If this sounds like you, we want to help you get more active!
Our return to fitness programme is designed for women who are not currently members of a sports centre or gym, do less than 60 minutes of moderate physical activity per week, and are looking to become more active.
It starts with a meet-and-greet introductory session followed by 10 weeks of different fitness activities including pilates, circuits, studio cycling, boxercise, yoga and more.
The low-pressure, non-competitive environment is a great opportunity to try new activities you might not have tried before. The instructors will take time to explain the exercises to ensure you learn how to do them safely and effectively.
- Register your interest for our 10-week Let’s Go Girls return to fitness programme.
The programme will be run at two locations:
- Wednesdays, 8 to 8.50pm, from 18 April to 27 June at Abbey Leisure Complex
- Thursdays, 8 to 8.50pm from 19 April to 28 June at Trumpington Sport
The programme costs just £30, payable at the start of the programme. If you attend seven or more of the 10 sessions you will receive a £15 Amazon voucher at the end of the programme.
Priority will be given to residents local to the two centres – CB5 residents for the sessionsat Abbey Leisure, and CB2 residents for the sessions at Trumpington Sport.
This is a partnership project between Cambridge City Council, Better Leisure and Abbeycroft leisure. It has been made possible with funding from Living Sport, the county sports partnership.
Other activities for women and girls
See our main 'Running' page for all activities, including women's only.
- Run by Cambridge Hotshots
- Thursdays, 7 to 8pm
- St Bede's Sports Centre, Cambridge
- £5 per session
- Contact Carolyn for more info: email@example.com
Kinnerz Coaching run weekly community football sessions for women and girls aged 13 + years:
- Wednesdays, 6:30-7:30pm
- Chesterton Sports Centre, outside on the Astroturf
- Suitable for beginners
- For more details, visit the Kinnerz Coaching website
Martial Arts Uniting Lives offers women traditional Tae Kwon-Do sessions.
- Tuesdays and Fridays, 7.40 to 8.40pm at Queen Edith’s Primary School
Try out some new moves or get back into the swing of things in a friendly and safe environment. The curtains will be closed closed and the doors covered for a bit of privacy.
'Back to Netball' sessions are running nationwide and ideal for ladies who haven't been on the court for a few years, since school, or anywhere in between!
Sessions are running locally, and for more information please visit The Trumpington Federation website.
'Netball Nights at Chesterton' are great for those who want to try netball for the first time, or who haven't played since school and want to get back into the sport.
Come and join this fun, friendly group for some fitness, ball drills and match play.
- Thursdays, 7-8pm
- This session will restart on 19 April
- £2 per session, or £15 for a 10-week block (19 April to 21 June)
- All ages 14+ welcome
Like and follow the Netball Nights page on Facebook for more information.
For all the below sessions, while the centre will try to have a female lifeguard on duty, this cannot always be guaranteed.
Ladies Swim and Tone Class
At these sessions, blinds to the pool windows are pulled down with no visibility to the pool from members of the public. Led by a qualified instructor.
- Chesterton Sports Centre, Gilbert Road, CB4 3NY
- Thursdays, 11.10 to 11.55am
- £4 per session (Free for Everyone Health Weight Management membership holders)
- Booking essential either online or by calling Chesterton Sports Centre
- 01223 576110
Ladies Night at the Abbey
- Abbey Leisure Complex, Whitehill Road, CB5 8NT
- Fridays, 7.30 to 8.30pm
- £4.50 per person, or £2 for Asian ladies groups
Nisa Ladies Swimming Club
- Kings Hedges Learner Pool, Jedburgh Close, Buchan St, CB4 2XH
- Sundays (Term-time only and excluding Ramadan)
- 11.30am – 12.30pm
- Adults: £3 per session
- Children (3 - 17 years): £1 per session
- Under 3's: Free
Contact Zina firstname.lastname@example.org for more information
Subsidised swimming lessons are available for Cambridge residents who want to learn to swim or build water confidence.
- Available at Parkside or Abbey Pools
- Taught in small groups
- £35 for a 14 week course
For more information, contact Julie on 01223 458644 or email pools@Cambridge.gov.uk
For more information about the pools in Cambridge, please visit our Swimming and paddling pools page.
- Fridays, 9.15 to 10.15am
- Cambridge Gymnastics Academy, North Cambridge Academy, Arbury Road
- For more information, visit the Cambridge Gymnastics website