A playpod is a shed or container in a school playground that contains scrap materials for children to play with at lunchtime.
Playpods are based on the ‘theory of loose parts’, which refers to items that can be moved, carried, combined and redesigned in multiple ways.
Watch a short video of a playpod in action.
Research carried out in schools that have playpods shows the following results:
- Less accidents and incidents at lunchtimes
- Happier children
- Less teaching time taken up with friendship issues
- Empowered lunchtime staff
- Greater cooperation between different age groups
- Children returning to class ready to learn
When we install a playpod at your school, we'll also provide:
- A nationally endorsed level-2 playwork training course for lunchtime staff
- Mentoring support at lunchtimes from professional playworkers
- A training day for children
- Introductory meetings for teachers, governors, and parents
- An ongoing supply of scrap materials
Contact us if you’d like to find out more about having a Scrapstore playpod at your school.