Greater Cambridge housing trajectory and five-year housing land supply calculations
A housing trajectory is used by councils to calculate their five-year housing land supply and also to demonstrate that anticipated housing delivery will meet or exceed their housing requirement.
Together with South Cambridgeshire District Council, we have reviewed and updated the Greater Cambridge housing trajectory and five year housing land supply calculations. The updated housing trajectory has been prepared jointly for Greater Cambridge, consistent with the approach set out in the adopted Local Plans 2018. Greater Cambridge consists of the local planning authorities of Cambridge City Council and South Cambridgeshire District Council.
The update concludes that the councils jointly have 5.4 years of housing land supply for the 2020 to 2025 five-year period. This conclusion is based on the councils’ five-year housing land supply being calculated jointly, using the Liverpool methodology, and applying a 20% buffer, all of which are set out in the adopted Local Plans 2018.
As the councils can demonstrate a five-year housing land supply for Greater Cambridge, the planning policies in the adopted Cambridge and South Cambridgeshire Local Plans 2018 will be given full weight in decisions on planning applications, unless there are other material considerations to take into account. This will be relevant for any planning applications that are being considered from 1 April 2020.
The commentary included in the Greater Cambridge Housing Trajectory and Five Year Housing Land Supply (1 April 2020) document refers to information published in the Greater Cambridge Housing Trajectory and Five Year Housing Land Supply (November 2019):
- Greater Cambridge Housing Trajectory and Five Year Housing Land Supply (November 2019) [PDF, 8MB] and errata [PDF, 0.1MB]
- Annex (November 2019):
- Contents, notes and Appendix 1: Evidence of lead-in times, lapse rates, build-out rates and windfalls [PDF, 1.5MB]
- Appendix 2: Completed questionnaires and emails, and responses C1 to C40 [PDF, 7MB]
- Responses GC1 to GC19 [PDF, 2MB]
- Responses SC1 to SC43 [PDF, 9.5MB]
- Responses SC44 to SC86 [PDF, 6.5MB]
Housing Delivery Test
The Housing Delivery Test is an annual assessment of actual housing delivery over the previous three years against the housing requirement for the district for that same period.
It was introduced in 2018, and national planning policy and guidance sets out the consequences of different results of the test.
The latest set of Housing Delivery Test results were published in February 2020. The result for Cambridge is 280%. The result for South Cambridgeshire is 95%.
There are no consequences from the Housing Delivery Test results published in February 2020 for Cambridge or South Cambridgeshire.
Annual Monitoring Report
The Housing Trajectory and Five Year Housing Land Supply sections of the Annual Monitoring Report 2017/18 [PDF, 1MB] have been superseded by the publication of the Greater Cambridge Housing Trajectory and Five Year Housing Land Supply (1 April 2020) document.
Councils produce an Annual Monitoring Report (or Authority Monitoring Report) every year that looks back at the previous monitoring year from 1 April to 31 March. It contains information on the performance of planning policies set out in the adopted Local Plan and Area Action Plans, and also provides a general portrait of the social, economic and environmental conditions in the city. The AMR also assesses the council’s progress in producing its Local Plan and Area Action Plans against the timetable set out in the Local Development Scheme.
The report for 2018/19 will cover the whole of Greater Cambridge and will be published in spring 2020.
These documents do not currently meet website accessibility guidelines. If you would like any of them in an alternative format to be able to view or read them, contact us using the details at the bottom of the page.
Greater Cambridge Housing Trajectory and Five Year Housing Land Supply
- Greater Cambridge Housing Trajectory and Five Year Housing Land Supply - Statement of Consultation (November 2019)
- Greater Cambridge Housing Trajectory and Five Year Housing Land Supply – Main Document and Annex (September 2019)
Housing Delivery Test
- Housing Delivery Test Action Plan for South Cambridgeshire (September 2019, including statement of common ground with Cambridge City Council
- Housing Delivery Test: Measurement results and implications for decision making in Greater Cambridge (February 2019)
Annual Monitoring Report
- Annual Monitoring Report 2017 [PDF, 3.5MB]
- Joint housing land supply update (RD/AD/500) (November 2017) [PDF, 0.8MB]
- Annual Monitoring Report 2016 [PDF, 7MB]
- Annual Monitoring Report 2015 [PDF, 5.5MB]
- Annual Monitoring Report 2014 [PDF, 3.5MB]
- Annual Monitoring Report 2013 [PDF, 3MB]
- Annual Monitoring Report 2012 [PDF, 1.5MB]
- Annual Monitoring Report 2011 [PDF, 2.5MB]
- Annual Monitoring Report 2010 [PDF, 9MB]
- Annual Monitoring Report 2009 [PDF, 4MB]
- Annual Monitoring Report 2008 [PDF, 0.4MB]
- Annual Monitoring Report 2007 [PDF, 2MB]
- Annual Monitoring Report 2006 [PDF, 0.4MB]
- Annual Monitoring Report 2005 [PDF, 0.3MB]