The council lets offices at four locations across Cambridge.
The suites at Dales Brewery and Gwydir Enterprise Centre are part of larger developments; further information can be found on the business centres page.
Properties are let for three-year periods in accordance with our office suites lease.
Barnwell House comprises 17 offices ranging in size from 165-679 square feet (15-63 square metres).
The site is situated alongside Barnwell Business Park on Barnwell Road, approximately two miles east of the city centre.
For more information about Barnwell House, email email@example.com or phone 01223 457447.
Orwell House comprises 19 offices, most of which are on the first floor, with the Orwell Furlong industrial units making up the ground floor.
The complex is situated with on Cowley Road, opposite the Cambridge Science Park.
The temperature-controlled offices share the use of several toilets, a kitchen and a conference room.
Tenants are mainly small businesses covering a range of activities such as software development, recruitment, printing and design.
Services provided by the site operators include:
- staffed reception from 9am-5pm every weekday, excluding bank holidays and public holidays
- booking the conference room
- photocopying, word processing and fax facilities
- sorting incoming post and collating and franking outgoing post.
Please note that some of these services are subject to a charge.
For more information about Orwell House, email firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 01223 457447.
Office suites lease
The lease for an office will be in a standard form, with the main terms and conditions set out as below.
Incoming lessees are responsible for any takeover or connection charges and are liable for our legal costs of approximately £650, including a non-refundable deposit of £200 which is payable in advance.
A successful application to let a property is subject to the receipt of satisfactory references.
If a lease is taken in the name of a limited company we will require a personal guarantor.
Please be aware that the form of the final lease may vary slightly and this is provided only as an example.
- The lease is for a term of three years.
- Rent varies depending on the size and is:
- payable monthly or quarterly in advance by direct debit
- exclusive of business rates
- exclusive of service charge which will be payable quarterly in advance on an estimated figure which will be annually adjusted to actual expenditure
- exclusive of any VAT which may become payable
- The tenant will reimburse the council the periodic premiums payable by the council in respect of the insurance of the structure.
- The tenant will be responsible for internal non-structural repairs, internal decoration and gas and electrical safety checks.
- The tenant is not to make any alterations or additions which affect the structure or exterior of the building without the prior written consent of the Head of Property and Building Services. Such consent may be given or withheld at his sole discretion.
- The tenant must comply with all statutes and regulations relating to the demised premises including the Health and Safety at Work Act. The tenant is not to cause nuisance from noise, odour or accumulation of materials or waste.
- The tenant not to assign, underlet or otherwise part with possession of the whole or any part of the demised premises at any time
- The tenant may at any time after the expiry of the first six months of the lease, but prior to the commencement of the last six months, surrender the lease on giving of not less than three calendar months notice in writing expiring on a Quarter Day. This may be subject to payment of the council's reasonable legal costs.
- The tenant is to ensure that parking is restricted to the designated spaces provided.
- The tenant to take a lease in the form prepared by the Director of Legal and Democratic Services and pay all reasonable costs arising therefrom.
- A code for commercial property leases has been prepared to guide business landlords and potential tenants. This is now available from the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (telephone 020 7222 7000).