We let light industrial units to businesses in five locations across Cambridge, as well as at our two business centres.
- Properties are let for three year periods, in accordance with our business centres lease.
- The retail units at Dales Brewery are let for five years, in accordance with our retail properties lease.
- Workshop units are let for a period of three years, in accordance with the terms of our light industrial units lease (see below).
Barnwell Business Park
- 20 light industrial units with mezzanine offices.
- Situated on Barnwell Road alongside Barnwell House, approximately two miles east of the city centre.
- Units range in size from 550-1,242 square feet (51-115 square metres).
- Four small workshops of about 375 square feet (35 square metres) each.
- Situated off King's Hedges Road, approximately three miles north of the city centre.
- The workshops share a toilet and are allocated one parking space each immediately outside, with more spaces available nearby.
- Office unit is also available
- 12 ground-floor workshops, with the Orwell House offices (details above) on the first floor.
- Situated with on Cowley Road, opposite the Cambridge Science Park.
- Each unit has its own loading area of about 430 square feet (40 square metres) in front of the workshop, with double doors and a separate personnel door.
- The workshops have their own toilets and are gas heated.
Robert Davies Court
- A complex of 15 purpose-built light industrial units and workshops for small businesses.
- Situated on Nuffield Road near the science park, approximately three miles from the city centre.
- Each unit has about 500 square feet (46 square metres) of ground-floor space.
Many units also have a mezzanine floor of around 114 square feet (11 square metres).
- The units each have a vertically rolling shutter door, a separate door for pedestrian access, and allocated parking for tenants and visitors.
Ronald Rolph Court
- 23 ground-floor light industrial units and workshops with on-site parking.
- Situated on Wadloes Road, approximately two miles east of the city centre.
- Units range in size from 160-1,400 square feet (15-130 square metres) and some have second-level floors, arranged around a central courtyard.
- Most units have a vertical shutter door and separate pedestrian access.
Light industrial units lease
The lease for a light industrial unit will be in a standard form, with the main terms and conditions set out as below.
Incoming lessees are responsible for any takeover or connection charges. They are also liable for our legal costs of approximately £650, including a non-refundable deposit of £200 which is payable in advance.
A successful application to let a property is subject to the receipt of satisfactory references.
If a lease is taken in the name of a limited company we will require a personal guarantor.
Please be aware that the form of the final lease may vary slightly and this is provided only as an example.
- The lease is for a term of three years.
- Rent is:
a. payable monthly in advance by direct debit
b. exclusive of business rates
c. exclusive of service charge which will be payable in advance on an estimated figure which will be annually adjusted to actual expenditure
d. exclusive of any VAT which may become payable
- The tenant will reimburse the council the periodic premiums payable by the council in respect of the insurance of the structure.
- The tenant will be responsible for internal non-structural repairs, internal decoration and gas and electrical safety checks.
- The tenant is not to make any alterations or additions which affect the structure or exterior of the building without the prior written consent of the Head of Property and Building Services. Such consent may be given or withheld at his sole discretion.
- The tenant must comply with all statutes and regulations relating to the demised premises including the Health and Safety at Work Act. The tenant is not to cause nuisance from noise, odour or accumulation of materials or waste.
- The tenant not to assign, underlet or otherwise part with possession of the whole or any part of the demised premises at any time
- The tenant may at any time after the expiry of the first six months of the lease, but prior to the commencement of the last six months, surrender the lease on giving of not less than three calendar months notice in writing. This is subject to payment of the council's reasonable legal costs.
- The tenant is to ensure that parking is restricted to the spaces provided and that no obstruction is caused to the service area, yard or highway. A parking control service ensures that parking is restricted to those authorised by permit.
- The tenant to take a lease in the form prepared by the Director of Legal and Democratic Services and pay all reasonable costs arising therefrom.
- A code for commercial property leases has been prepared to guide business landlords and potential tenants. This is now available from the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (telephone 020 7222 7000).