If you're 35 or over, single and don't live with any dependants, and
you live in:
- a self-contained property (you have your own room plus your own bathroom, toilet, and kitchen or facilities to cook e.g. a one bedroom flat).
- shared accommodation (but have two or more rooms (bedrooms or living rooms) that no-one else can use)
your benefit will be based on the one bedroom LHA rate.
If you live in:
- shared accommodation (unless you have two or more rooms (bedrooms or living rooms) that no-one else can use).
your benefit will be based on the LHA shared room rate.
- Go to the LHA and the rate we pay page to check our rates.
The amount of benefit you can get may be affected by:
- any money you have coming in
- any savings you have
- how much your rent is
- if you share paying the rent with someone else
- you're severely disabled (extra rules apply)
- you're a joint tenant (contact us for more information)
If you claim benefit you can only get it for yourself and your family. If you share a property with someone who isn't part of your family, your benefit may be reduced. This is because we may expect them to pay towards your rent.