BIIAB Level 1 Award in Responsible Alcohol Retailing (ARAR)
Licensees must ensure their staff are suitably trained and that they are aware of their responsibilities associated with the sale of alcohol.
The Level 1 Award in Responsible Alcohol Retailing (ARAR) meets an industry-wide need to demonstrate commitment to responsible alcohol retailing by covering topics that include:
- The nature of alcohol and the effect it has on the human body
- The main points of the Licensing Act 2003 as they relate to alcohol retailers and servers
- Licensing law and the protection of children from harm
- The social responsibilities associated with the retail sale of alcohol
- How to recognise drunkenness, and an individuals duty not to serve drunk customers
- How licensed premises can help to prevent or eliminate alcohol-related crime and conflict
- The importance of personal safety
This course is aimed at front-of-house staff who are involved in the sale of alcohol on a day-to-day basis. Individuals wishing to gain a deeper understanding of licensing law and the application process should consider the BIIAB Level 2 Award for Personal Licence Holders that we also offer.
"Tutor approaching and engaging with others"
"The videos and practical exercises were very helpful"
"The tutor was very kind and friendly"
"Good, calm and friendly environment"
"It was very easy to understand, straight to the point"
Our licensing courses are taught by enforcement officers who are responsible for the inspection of licensed premises and have achieved the Level 3 Award in Education and Teaching as well as the Institute of Licensing Professional Licensing Practitioners' Qualification.
The course is delivered in a half day session, which will cover all the information required to complete the exam. The course is followed by a short multiple-choice exam, which has two parts:
- Section one: 3 questions - pass mark 100% (3 out of 3)
- Section two: 22 questions - pass mark 64% (14 out of 22)
The ARAR is accredited on the Qualifications and Credit Framework (QCF) at Level 1 and has a credit value of 1. The accreditation number is 500/77442.
While there are no formal entry requirements learners will need to have a good understanding of English and maths. If English is not your first language then please contact us to discuss what support we may be able to offer.
Learners who successfully complete the course can go on to study the BIIAB Level 2 Award for Personal Licence Holders. This qualification will likely be a requirement of those wishing to move in to supervisory or managerial positions in the licensed hospitality trade.
Course dates - 2018*
- Monday 11 June
Time: 9.30am - 1:45pm
* We would be happy to discuss offering the training on dates other the above. Please use the contact details below to get in touch with us.
Conference Room, Mill Road Depot, Mill Road, Cambridge CB1 2AZ.
Limited car parking is available on site.
The cost to attend the course is £65.00 per person. This includes:
- Course workbook
- Registration and examination fees
An examination re-sit costs £20.00.
Please contact us to discuss arrangements for group bookings and discounts.
Once we receive your booking a tutor will be in touch to confirm the order. This will usually take place within 7 working days of the booking being made.
If you experience any problems using EventBrite, contact us to arrange a booking.