Histon Road Cemetery
49 Histon Road, Cambridge CB4 3LE
Get directions from Google
The main entrance to the cemetery is from Histon Road.
The cemetery is an open site and offers unlimited pedestrian and vehicle access all year long, including Sundays and bank holidays.
The registers of the cemetery are deposited at Cambridgeshire Archives - more information about the archives can be found on the county council website.
Histon Road Cemetery is a good example of a garden cemetery and is recognised on the English Heritage Parks, Gardens and Cemeteries register as grade II. The site contains several valuable memorials, listed features and provides an important wildlife haven with specimen trees and is currently being managed to promote an increased range of flora and fauna.
The Friends of Histon Road Cemetery have been actively involved in the management of the site since 2006, not the council.
To contact the Friends email email@example.com
There are no new graves available at Histon Road Cemetery although it is used for burial in those plots where exclusive rights of burial still exist and for the interment of cremated remains in existing family graves.
For information about burials at Histon Road Cemetery, visit burials and graves.
Burial and grave records
Go to our Burial and grave records for more information.
Histon Road Cemetery was opened in 1843.
In the centre of the boundary stands a large two storey Elizabethan Tudor style lodge (listed grade II) built of grey gault brick with red diapering and stone dressings under a roof of octagonal slates.
The lodge was designed by E B Lamb, erected in 1843, and is flanked by two pairs old cast iron gates hung on brick and stone piers (all listed grade II). Each of the north piers feature a slate face inscribed with the cemetery regulations.
From the gates, the drives circle either side of the lodge and rejoin on the other side to run west along a wide central drive to the site of the former gothic chapel which stood at the centre of the cemetery. The chapel was demolished in the 1950s, since when the main building on the site has been the lodge. The drive continues to the corner of French's Road and Victoria Road where there is a gate allowing pedestrian access only.