Head of housing services
We’re challenging you to play a pivotal role in trying to address the exceptional housing conditions in Cambridge. You’ll join our dynamic authority at an exciting time: an additional £70million has been allocated as part of the devolution deal for the Cambridge and Peterborough Combined Authority.
This is a high profile opportunity to oversee our delivery of housing functions. Your remit will include managing the existing Council housing stock, leading the prevention and alleviation of homelessness as well as building effective partnerships to support existing and new communities.
Your impressive track record at a senior level in housing will include leading and transforming housing services and managing complex and varied stakeholder relationships. Ideally professionally qualified, you’ll be skilled in working with tenant and leaseholder representatives or other local neighbourhood groups to champion change. You’ll add to this a sound understanding of housing management, housing strategy and homelessness.
Your reputation for improving performance in service delivery, leading and engaging staff to deliver on their objectives and embrace change, will make you stand out. If you want find out more about this exciting opportunity, please refer to the information and links below.
To apply for the position, please submit your CV along with a covering letter / personal statement, setting out how you meet the Person Specification for the role you have applying for. More information can be found on the “How to Apply” page.
Key services and responsibilities
City Homes manage our 8,800 rented, leaseholder and shared-ownership homes.
- Tenancy and estate management – including working with partners in community development, social care and housing associations to support tenants, tackle ASB, reduce crime and promote settle communities. Works very closely with estates and facilities to promote well-managed, cared-for estates.
- Rent collection and arrears management – including debt advice to tenants in arrears, signposting and other support
Housing Support manage our sheltered tenancies, our extra-care home, and support to vulnerable tenants in their homes. Tenant participation, including our regular newsletter, work with our team of tenant inspectors and digital champions, and support to our elected tenant and leaseholder reps to fulfil their role at committee, is also managed within this team
Homelessness, Housing Advice and Housing Needs deliver a wide range of functions related to preventing and alleviating homelessness, including:
- Housing advice
- Single Homelessness Service – supporting single people into accommodation in the city or surrounding areas
- Temporary accommodation allocations and management
- Statutory investigations and decisions
- Leading the local partnerships to tackle homelessness
- Developing innovative solutions, such as the current imitative to support entrenched rough sleepers off the streets through access to clinical support
- Assessing housing needs applications
- Working sub-regionally to tackle wider issues such as housing (ex)offenders
Housing Strategy is a very small team focused on understanding our housing market, and working with partners sub-regionally to identify strategic responses to a range of housing-related issues. We are currently developing a new, joint Housing Strategy with South Cambridgeshire, to be coterminous with our new joint Greater Cambridge Local Plan. We engage with government and others to seek to influence policy and create a context in which we can deliver effective solutions. This team also provides an enabling service working with housing associations.
Housing revenue account and business plan – these key documents are maintained by Finance, but the Heads of Service need to lead on key policy areas, and decisions related to use of HRA resources.
Please follow the links below for more related information about the service.
- Housing Scrutiny Committee meetings
- HRA business plan
- Housing strategy
- Cambridge housing research
- Job description