Skip To Main Content

Cambridge City Council

Subscribe to email notifications of our service updates and news releases Sign up now

Coronavirus: Updates and information

Find out about available support and how to offer help. Our customer service centre is open to help you by email and phone. Please continue to follow official NHS and government advice.

Coronavirus update from the Greater Cambridge Shared Planning service

We have adapted some of our services in light of government advice with regards to social distancing. Click the link above for full information.

Get advice from a duty planning officer

Our duty planning officer can give planning advice and guidance in relation to householder development and development by small businesses / independent traders only.

You can ask the duty officer about:

Make an appointment

  • Appointments must be made in advance, call 01223 457200.
  • Our duty planning officer is available at the customer service centre from 11am to 1pm every weekday.
  • Appointments will be made for 15 minute slots.

The duty officer can't give advice about larger types of development, such as new dwellings, conversion to student accommodation or commercial development. For this you'll need pre-application advice.

Help for Householders

The duty planning officer can assist you with simple questions about the following types of development:

  • extensions, conservatories or a porch
  • a garage or outbuilding
  • new or altered access
  • dormer windows or roof alterations
  • a wall or fence
  • a satellite dish
  • new windows or doors
  • external cladding

If your query is more complicated, the duty planning officer can help you to make an application for permitted development advice or pre-application advice.  There is no charge for this advice.

Help for small businesses / independent traders

The duty planning officer can:

Householders – do you need planning permission?

You can make certain types of minor changes to your house without needing to apply for planning permission.  These are called 'permitted development rights'. 

Glossary of planning terms

The Planning Portal Glossary is a summary of phrases relating to land use and planning matters in England only. It covers a variety of issues ranging from new development and regeneration, to conservation and environmental protection.