We welcome the Cambridge Fairtrade Committee’s initiatives to encourage the use of fair trade goods. We note that, as a consumer and opinion leader, we should research, develop, and support a strategy to facilitate fair trade.
We therefore resolve to:
- Promote awareness of fair trade issues and the opportunities for supporting fair trade in the area.
- Provide educational information concerning the worldwide impact of unfair trade and the opportunities that fair trade provides to sustainable development.
- Encourage the use of fair trade goods, for example products carrying the Fairtrade Mark and products in vending machines.
- Request our venues to stock Fairtrade products in addition to other brands.
- Ask officers to investigate how we could integrate fair trade considerations into our Environment Plan. This would support our corporate objective to improve the environment.
- Ensure one of our officers liaises with the Cambridge Fairtrade Committee on implementing this resolution. There would be a report and feedback to monitor progress to Environment Committee annually.
- Concentrate on making our employees, the public and local businesses aware of our resolution on fair trade.