The design and conservation panel supports our work to deliver national and local design and conservation objectives. It helps secure the highest possible design quality of buildings and spaces, and to preserve and enhance the historic environment.
The panel has three specific roles:
- To provide a forum for pre-application presentation of, briefing for, and expert advice on, major or significant development proposals
- To provide formal comments on submitted applications
- To comment from time to time on policies and guidance related to design and conservation
The panel meets every four weeks. It's made up of around 20 individuals, with skills in architecture, planning, urban design, landscape design and the historic environment. Four to six members will typically attend each meeting.
- Terms of reference [PDF, 28Kb]
- Panel membersincluding qualifications and conflicts of interest [PDF, 23Kb]
- Briefing note on the presentation and evaluation of proposals [PDF, 15Kb]
The Greater Cambridge Shared Planning service (GCSP) is reviewing this panel to ensure it continues to provide an effective service.
GSCP has appointed Urban Design Learning (UDL) to carry out the review. UDL will consult stakeholders including panel members, officers, councillors, and residents’ associations.
Let us know if you would like to share your views about the panel by completing a short survey, or if you have any questions about the project. Contact Joanne Preston, Principal Urban Design Officer at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Minutes of Design & Conservation Panel meetings
When submitted planning applications have been discussed by the panel, the minutes will be available to view below:
- December 2020: Sturton Street (20/04514/FUL) [PDF, 33Kb]
- February 2018: Mill Road Depot (17/2245/FUL) [PDF, 32Kb]
- October 2017: 6-18 King St (17/1497/FUL) & Market Hill/Market Street (17/1286/FUL) [PDF, 31Kb]
- July 2017: St Regis,Clare College [PDF, 25Kb]
- January 2017: Cranmer Road, Kings College [PDF, 38Kb]
- September 2016: 6-18 King Street [PDF, 26Kb]
- August 2016:Cambridge Union Society [PDF, 26Kb]
- June 2016:Croft Gardens [PDF, 25Kb]
- October 2015: Chemistry of Health building [PDF, 27Kb]
- September 2015: Gonville Hotel [PDF, 27Kb]
- July 2015: ARM Fulbourn Road [PDF, 22Kb]
- June 2015: New Museums Site - NRange [PDF, 23Kb]
- May 2015: 186 - 188 Histon Road [PDF, 36Kb]
- February 2015: WestsGarage [PDF, 24Kb]
Cambridge Design and Construction Awards
The panel supports our annual design and construction awards programme. The chair sits on the judging panel for the awards, and members help promote them in the development community.
The buildings pictured below have been reviewed by the panel and have won awards at our design and construction awards.