Our officers work in services, each of which consists of multiple sections and teams with specific responsibilities. Each service is managed by a head of service, most of whom report to one of our two strategic directors.
- Read more about how the council works
- James Elms, Head of Commercial Services – email@example.com
Commercial Services manages and maintains all of our public off-street car parking and the Shopmobility services at the Grand Arcade and Grafton shopping centres. It also manages Cambridge's cemeteries and crematorium.
- Debbie Kaye, Head of Community Services – firstname.lastname@example.org
Community Services manages our community centres and neighbourhood development, and provides sport, recreational and cultural services and our Children and Young People's Participation Service (ChYpPS). It provides grants for leisure and sustainability projects, and manages our response to antisocial behaviour and our work with the Community Safety Partnership.
- Andrew Limb, Assistant Chief Executive – email@example.com
Our Corporate Strategy service provides a range of services to help ensure the council achieves its objectives, including electoral services and communications. It works closely with colleagues across all departments, as well as elected members and partner organisations. The service supports our ambitions to become more efficient and effective, for both our staff and the communities we serve.
- Joel Carré, Head of Environmental Services – firstname.lastname@example.org
Environmental Services plays a vital role in safeguarding the unique character of Cambridge and supporting the quality of life of our local communities.
We aim to preserve Cambridge's historic identity, its natural open spaces and ensure the cleanliness of its streets.
We aim to be at the forefront of low-carbon living and will continue to seek improvement in recycling opportunities, public transport, cycle routes and other environmental initiatives.
Through strong liaison with our local communities, we aim to deliver high-quality services that give everybody who lives in, works in or visits Cambridge a positive experience of it.
Under shared arrangements with Huntingdon District Council, we manage and maintain all of the council's fixed public-space CCTV cameras, and monitors CCTV installed in a range of council services, including car parks, housing projects, and the Mill Road depot, and also for a number of external customers. We also manage redeployable CCTV cameras that are temporarily located around the city, and a customer texting service, as well as dealing with the emergency calls into the council outside of normal hours.
Service responsibilities include:
- environmental health services and enforcement
- licensing of premises and taxis
- private-sector housing
- health promotion
- pollution monitoring for land and air quality
- promoting cycling and walking
- improving the local environment
- open spaces and grounds maintenance
- public art
- public conveniences
- removal of (and enforcement action against) litter, graffiti, fly-posting, fly-tipping and abandoned vehicles
- street cleansing (including the provision of litter, dog waste and street recycling bins)
- street name plates
- sustainable drainage and watercourse management
- tree management (including planting)
- Caroline Ryba, Head of Finance – email@example.com
Our Finance service provides professional and transactional financial services, including budgeting and reporting, treasury and cash management, payroll, risk management, and internal audit.
Revenue and benefit services are also included within Finance and they are responsible for:
- the administration of housing benefit and Council Tax benefit
- the collection of local taxes including business rates
- management of the customer service centre
- the detection and prevention of benefit fraud
- Claire Flowers, Head of Housing Development – firstname.lastname@example.org
- David Greening, Head of Housing Services – email@example.com
Housing Services looks after council tenants, including those in sheltered and temporary housing. The service manages Home-Link, our social housing register, and works to prevent and relieve homelessness and rough sleeping. It also works with housing associations and partners to build new affordable housing.
- Deborah Simpson, Head of Human Resources – firstname.lastname@example.org
Human Resources provides support to staff, including learning and development opportunities.
- Our ICT service is provided by 3C Shared Services.
- Sagar Roy, Head of ICT – email@example.com
The shared 3C ICT service provides a more efficient way of delivering ICT services across the three partner councils.
- Our shared legal service is provided by 3C Shared Services.
- Tom Lewis, Head of Legal Practice – firstname.lastname@example.org
Examples of the services provided:
- drafting contracts for the council
- recovering debts owed to the council
- preparing planning agreements for new developments in the city
- prosecuting for breaches of the law, including antisocial behaviour, noise nuisance and breach of licensing laws
Maintenance and Assets
- Lynn Thomas, Head of Maintenance and Assets – email@example.com
The Maintenance and Assets service's remit is to repair, modernise or adapt the council's housing stock while ensuring that the council provides attractive housing in environments people wish to live in. It also manages the shared service for the Home Improvement Agency (shared between the city council, South Cambridgeshire District Council and Huntingdonshire District Council). Examples of work carried out include repairs and maintenance, adaptations for disabled people and energy-efficiency improvements.
Planning and Economic Development
- Stephen Kelly, Joint Director of Planning and Economic Development – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Stephen is also the director of South Cambridgeshire District Council's planning service.
The service responsibilities include:
- planning policy
- development control, including growth sites on city fringes
- planning enforcement
- building control
- historic environment
- Dave Prinsep, Head of Property Services – email@example.com
Property Services is responsible for managing our commercial property portfolio and providing professional surveying advice.
- Nick Kemp, Transformation Director – firstname.lastname@example.org
- We share our Waste service with South Cambridgeshire District Council.
- Bode Esan, Head of Shared Waste – email@example.com