Last updated: 7 May 2021
Covid-19 grant schemes
The City Council distributes government-funded grants for businesses in the city of Cambridge. The two types of grant available are:
- Restart Grants for rate-paying businesses in premises providing predominantly in-person services in the non-essential retail, hospitality, accommodation, leisure, personal care and gym sectors. New applicants: Apply now for a Restart Grant.
- The local Additional Business Support Grants scheme for businesses in Cambridge that do not qualify for Restart Grants. New applicants: Apply now for the ABSG Phase 6 scheme.
Over the last fortnight, we have made grant payments to hundreds of businesses who have already qualified for grants since the second national lockdown last November. Payments to more of these existing grant recipients will follow next week. We will notify businesses when their one-off payment is about to be made.
In line with new national guidance, we now have to complete standard fraud prevention pre-payment checks before grants can be issued.
- Businesses located outside Cambridge (for example, in South Cambridgeshire) should contact their district council for grants.
- Read coronavirus financial support for residents, including more information about the self-employment income support scheme.
Non-essential retailers can extend their opening hours to 7am to 10pm, Monday to Saturday, when they reopen.
Keep your workplace clean
If your business is allowed to open, make sure to follow the government’s guidance on cleaning your workplace.
You must keep all surfaces that your staff or customers touch clean. You should assume that all surfaces in the workplace or visited by the public are contaminated with coronavirus.
Use disposable cloths, or paper roll and disposable mop heads to clean all hard surfaces. Use detergent or disinfectant, wipe in one direction only, and dispose of the materials correctly. Steam clean material surfaces if detergent or laundry is not effective.
Health and safety advice for employees
You have the right to be safe at work, wherever you work and whatever you do. The coronavirus pandemic has made this even more important.
Make sure you know your rights about health and safety at work, and what to do if you experience a problem.
Government web pages
Other useful contacts
- Cambridge Business Improvement District (BID): email@example.com
- Cambridge Business Against Crime (CAMBAC): firstname.lastname@example.org
- Licensing: email@example.com
- Police: firstname.lastname@example.org
- South Cambridgeshire District Council: Financial support for businesses