Skip To Main Content

Cambridge City Council

Get your coronavirus vaccination at walk-in clinics in and around Cambridge – no appointment needed, but wear a face mask

Online payments temporarily unavailable on Sunday morning

The system provider will apply routine security updates between 4.30 and 6.30am on Sunday 17 October.

Coronavirus: Financial support for residents

If you have been affected by the coronavirus pandemic, check this page for information about what financial help might be available to you.

If NHS Test and Trace tell you to self-isolate, you might be entitled to a one-off £500 Test and Trace Support Payment.

Your wages have reduced or stopped

If you are on housing benefit or Council Tax reduction, update your benefits account. We will look at your earnings right now and update your benefits as needed. If you get the 80% furlough or back pay for this period, we will reassess your claims. Talk to your employer about furlough payments.

If you get Tax Credits, let HMRC know.

If you are not on any of the above, you may need to claim Universal Credit. Find out more about employment and benefits support.

Cambridge Citizen’s Advice are able to help if you telephone 0344 848 7979.

You are self-employed

Depending on when you became self-employed, you may be able to get help through the Self-employment Income Support Scheme (Seiss).

If you are also on housing benefit or Council Tax Reduction, update your benefits account to let us know your self-employment income has dropped.

If you are entitled to Seiss payments, these will be paid in June and may affect your benefits going forward. When you receive it, you need to tell us using the link above.

If you are on Tax Credits you will need to contact HMRC.

Again, if you have no other benefits or income, you may have to claim Universal Credit. Find out more about employment and benefits support.

You can’t pay your rent

Talk to your landlord and explain the situation as soon as you can. If you are on housing benefit, are we aware of your changed circumstances? Please let us know.

If you are not on housing benefit, you may be able to claim Universal Credit. Find out more about employment and benefits support.

You can’t pay your Council Tax

See if you are entitled to claim Council Tax Reduction.

If you are still struggling, please let us know and we will see what we can do to help.

You have other bills you can’t pay

The national energy regulator Ofgem has provided advice for people struggling with energy bills because of coronavirus.

Energy Helpline has published guidance for people with prepayment metres. This guidance includes phone numbers for all energy suppliers.

The Energy Saving Trust has published energy saving tips for when you are stuck at home.

If you have a pre-pay meter and are struggling to get help from your energy supplier, contact We can tell you whether the new temporary fuel voucher scheme will be able to help you.

If you are struggling to pay your water bill, Cambridge Water can help and support you. Visit the Cambridge Water website for more information.

Cambridge Citizen’s Advice are able to help if you telephone 0344 848 7979. They can also help if you are having difficulty claiming Universal Credit.

Connecting Cambridgeshire have compiled a list of mobile and internet service providers who are offering support for customers to help them stay connected if facing financial uncertainty.

The Cambridgeshire Local Assistance Scheme offers advice and practical support. They might also be able to provide help in the form of supermarket vouchers, energy vouchers, new cookers, or recycled white goods and furniture. Contact them free on 0808 278 7807 (Monday to Friday, 9.30am to 3.30pm). 

You can’t pay your mortgage

Talk to your mortgage provider as soon as possible and explain the situation. The Government has asked lenders to be considerate at this time.

You may also be able to get some help from Universal Credit. Find out more about employment and benefits support.

You can’t use the internet

If you do not have access to a computer, tablet or smart phone or are unsure how to use them, you can contact Cambridge Online on 01223 300407.