We are putting in place contingency plans to address the impact of the coronavirus outbreak on our services. We remain open for business and will continue to change and adapt our services and as the situation develops.
We will keep this page up to date with news of any changes to our services.
- News release, 17 March: City council response to coronavirus
- Subscribe to email notifications of our service updates and news releases
Parking controls across the city will be relaxed to allow free parking in multi-storey car parks for key workers and volunteers from 30 March.
Council surface car parks will also be free for them and other users who are following the government’s Stay at Home advice where this has resulted in the current parking issues in residential areas.
Green bin collections have been suspended until Monday 4 May. If any black or blue bin collections are affected, we’ll update the bin collection calendar with details. Our bulky waste collection service has been suspended.
- Read more: Green bin collections and deliveries suspended
- Read more: Bulky waste collections suspended until further notice
Household recycling centres across Cambridgeshire are closed until further notice. See Cambridgeshire County Council Household Recycling Centres for further information.
Cambridgeshire County Council are no longer taking calls about waste, so they can prioritise urgent phone calls.
We are asking that customers do not take items to recycling points, such as shoes, textiles and batteries as these cannot currently be emptied.
Our customer service reception points at Mandela House, Arbury Road and the Guildhall are closed, except for pre-booked appointments.
Contact details for each service are listed at the bottom of their pages on our website, or you can contact our customer service centre at firstname.lastname@example.org or 01223 457000.
The Corn Exchange is closed and all shows scheduled until the end of March have been postponed. Events after March are being reviewed. There’s no need to contact the box office – they will contact everybody who has bought a ticket to advise about new dates and refunds.
- Read more: Corn exchange closed in March
Our swimming pools and community centres are closed. All bookings at the pools and centres will be retained, and no charges will be made until they re-open.
- Read more: Swimming pools closed until further notice
- Read more: Community centres closed until further notice
Our parks and open spaces remain open until further notice, but play areas are closed. Sports facilities including tennis courts, table tennis tables, bowling greens, skateboard ramps, outdoor gym equipment and multi-use games areas are also closed.
- News release, 23 March: City council announces parks to remain open at this time but play areas to close
We are booking emergency housing repairs only. If your repair is an emergency, you must tell us if your household is experiencing any symptoms of ill health such as a cough, high temperature and shortness of breath.
Public toilets at Lion Yard, Chesterton Road, Drummer Street and Quayside remain open, but other, less frequently used toilets are closed.
The crematorium is closed to the public for face-to-face meetings. We encourage everybody attending a service to follow the government’s advice on social distancing.
Some council meetings have been cancelled, including all scrutiny committee meetings scheduled for March, so check the committee meeting calendar if you are planning to attend one.
Operation of the security barrier across King’s Parade has been suspended until further notice. Due to government restrictions on movement of people there are far fewer people in the city centre at the present time meaning the security risk is greatly reduced. Suspending operation of the barrier will free up council officer time to other essential public duties.
Updates from our partners
- Cambridge Investment Partnership: Coronavirus response and updates
- Cambridgeshire and Peterborough Combined Authority
- South Cambridgeshire District Council: Coronavirus
- Visit Cambridge and Beyond: Coronavirus update
3C Shared Services Building Control continues to provide a service. They are experiencing a high number of calls – please contact them at email@example.com and they will get back to you as soon as they can.
The Greater Cambridge Shared Planning service has adapted some of their services to accommodate social distancing and working at home.
The Greater Cambridge Partnership has suspended work on the Histon Road improvements project.
- Home energy visits have been suspended until further notice – advice is still available by email or phone.
- Scrapstore is closed until further notice.
- We have suspended all streets and open spaces volunteer events, including postponing our Great British Spring Clean litter-picking events.
- The Easter holiday multi-sports activity days on 6, 7 and 8 April have been cancelled.
- The Personal Licence Holder training sessions on 20 April and 11 June have been cancelled.
- At this time, the Cambridge Folk Festival is planning to go ahead in the summer.
- The Cambridge East Community Forum meeting on 24 March was postponed.