Consultation open from 18 February to 17 March 2019.
Introduction and background
The Local Government (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1976 provides that in respect of the charges for Hackney Carriages, the Council “may fix the rates or fares within the district as well for time as distance, and all other charges in connection with the hire of a vehicle…by means of a table.”
Fares comprise charges for:
- Distance travelled (3 tariffs, depending on time of day and day of the week)
- Waiting time; and
- Extra charges, which include:
- Journeys with 5 or more passengers
- Bicycles not able to put in the luggage compartment
- A potential fuel surcharge
- A vehicle unfit to continue working charge;
In accordance with the statutory procedure set out in Section 6 of the Local Government (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1976, the Council is required to undertake public consultation prior to making any amendment to the Hackney Carriage Table of Fares. [DOC, 32KB]
Requests to amend the table of fares are as follows:
- Fare increase of 2.4%, which translates into a 10p increase (as a rounded figure) on the base fare across all tariffs (to go on line with the Consumer Price Inflation rate).
- Going forward an automatic annual fare review in line with the Consumer Price Index at that time and delegate this annual review and implementation to the Head of Environmental Services on condition that:
- The consultation takes place in early March each year with the adopted fares coming into effect from 1st April each year.
- The rate of fare increase be based on the Consumer Price Index rate published by the Bank of England on 1 March each year, and then rounded to a practical figure.
- Any future request for an increase greater than CPI be decided by the Executive Councillor
To comment on this consultation, email the Commercial and Licensing Team, Environmental Services at firstname.lastname@example.org
If no objections to the variation of the table of fares are made, or if all objections are withdrawn, the revised Table of Fares will come into operation on the 1 April 2019.