Community infrastructure levy
Since April 2010, local planning authorities have been permitted to introduce a Community Infrastructure Levy (CIL) in their area. The purpose of CIL is to raise funds from developers who are undertaking new building projects, to help pay for infrastructure that is needed to support new development. It can be used to fund a wide variety of infrastructure including:
- transport schemes
- flood defences
- schools, hospitals and other health and social care facilities
- parks, green spaces and leisure centres.
It will replace Section 106 contributions for many forms of infrastructure, although Section 106 agreements can still be used for site-specific mitigation measures and for affordable housing provision.
CIL is applied as a charge on each square metre of floor space in new buildings, with a minimum threshold of 100 square metres or a single dwelling. Some types of development are exempt, for example social housing is eligible for 100% relief.
Rates of CIL will be set out in a document known as a 'Charging Schedule'. A Charging Schedule sets out a rate per square metre for all qualifying development. This involves consultation and independent examination.
Current status: Examination of the Cambridge draft CIL charging schedule
Consultation on the Draft CIL Charging Schedule ran from 9am on 28 October 2013 to 5pm on 9 December 2013.
You can view the responses via the online consultation system.
Following on from the consultation the Council has submitted its Draft CIL Charging Schedule and supporting evidence to the Planning Inspectorate for independent examination on 28 March 2014. This is in accordance with Regulation 19 of the Community Infrastructure Regulations 2010 (as amended).
The Draft CIL Charging Schedule has been submitted alongside the Cambridge Local Plan 2014 - Proposed Submission. Examination of the Draft CIL Charging Schedule will follow the examination of the Local Plan.
The submitted Cambridge Draft CIL Charging Schedule will now be subjected to an independent examination to be conducted by the Planning Inspectorate on behalf of the Secretary of State. An independent planning inspector, Laura Graham BSc MA MRTPI, has been appointed to conduct the examination. The same Inspector has been appointed to consider the 'soundness' of the Cambridge Local Plan 2014 - Proposed Submission.
Part of the examination process could involve hearing sessions, where those invited to attend will have the opportunity to respond to matters raised by the appointed Planning Inspector. Any hearing sessions are likely to take place after the Cambridge Local Plan 2014 – Proposed Submission hearing sessions. The examination hearings for the Cambridge Local Plan 2014 - Proposed Submission commenced on 4 November 2014. For more information on the progress of the Cambridge Local Plan 2014 examination visit our Local Plan Examination pages.
Hard copies of the submission documents for both the Cambridge Local Plan 2014 are available to view at Cambridge City Council’s Customer Service Centre at Mandela House, 4 Regent Street, Cambridge, CB2 1BY at the following times: Monday: 8am to 5.15pm; Tuesday to Friday: 9am to 5.15pm.
This page will be updated on a continuous basis as and when new information is received.
The examination process is administered by the programme officer. The programme officer appointed for the examination is Gloria Alexander. Enquiries in relation to the administrative aspects of the examination should be made directly to her.
- Name: Gloria Alexander
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Tel: 01223 457468, 07803202578 (mobile)
Submission and examination documents
The table below provides a list of submitted documents and other documents related to the examination:
Submission stage: March 2014
- CIL/010: Draft CIL Charging Schedule – Submission Version [PDF]
- CIL/020: Draft CIL Charging Schedule – Supporting Information Summary [PDF]
- CIL/030: Draft CIL Regulation 123 List [PDF]
- CIL/040: Draft Planning Obligations Strategy SPD [PDF]
- CIL/050: Regulation 19(1)(b) Statement – Report of Draft Charging Schedule Representations [PDF]
- CIL/060: Regulation 19(1)(c) copy of representations made on the Draft CIL Charging Schedule [PDF]
- CIL/070: Draft CIL Instalment Policy [PDF]
- CIL/080: Draft CIL Charging Schedule Notice of Submission [PDF]
- CIL/090: Draft CIL Charging Schedule Statement of Compliance [PDF]
Draft CIL charging schedule consultation: October/December 2013
- CIL/100: Draft CIL Charging Schedule and Supporting Information Consultation Document [PDF]
- CIL/110: Regulation 16 Statement of Representations Procedure [PDF]
- CIL/120: Preliminary Draft Charging Schedule Statement of Consultation [PDF]
- CIL/130: Draft CIL Charging Schedule and Supporting Information Consultation Covering Letter
- CIL/140: Draft CIL Charging Schedule Consultation – Newspaper Notice – Cambridge Evening News [PDF]
- CIL/150: Cambridge Community Infrastructure Levy Equalities Impact Assessment [PDF]
Preliminary draft CIL charging schedule stage: March/April 2013
- CIL/160: Cambridge City Council Preliminary Draft Charging Schedule - Consultation Document [PDF]
- CIL/170: Preliminary Draft Charging Schedule Notice [PDF]
- CIL/180: Preliminary Draft Charging Schedule Consultation Covering Letter [PDF]
- CIL/190: Cambridge and South Cambridgeshire Infrastructure Delivery Study Update 2013 [PDF]
- CIL/195: Cambridge and South Cambridgeshire Infrastructure Delivery Study 2012 – Executive Summary [PDF]
- CIL/200: Cambridge and South Cambridgeshire Infrastructure Delivery Study 2012 [PDF]
- CIL/210: CIL Viability Assessment [PDF]
- CIL/220: SHLAA and Potential Site Allocations High Level Viability Assessment [PDF]
- CIL/230: Local Plan – Student Housing Affordable Housing Study [PDF]
- CIL/240: Cambridge City Council Local Plan – Small Sites Affordable Housing Viability Study [PDF]
- CIL/250: Cambridge Local Plan 2014 - Proposed Submission [PDF]
- CIL/260: Draft Affordable Housing Supplementary Planning Document [PDF]