Since April 2010, local planning authorities have been permitted to introduce a Community Infrastructure Levy (CIL) in their area. The purpose of CIL is to raise funds from developers who are undertaking new building projects, to help pay for infrastructure that is needed to support new development. It can be used to fund a wide variety of infrastructure including:
- transport schemes
- flood defences
- schools, hospitals and other health and social care facilities
- parks, green spaces and leisure centres.
It will replace Section 106 contributions for many forms of infrastructure, although Section 106 agreements can still be used for site-specific mitigation measures and for affordable housing provision.
CIL is applied as a charge on each square metre of floor space in new buildings, with a minimum threshold of 100 square metres or a single dwelling. Some types of development are exempt, for example social housing is eligible for 100% relief.
Rates of CIL will be set out in a document known as a 'Charging Schedule'. A Charging Schedule sets out a rate per square metre for all qualifying development. This involves consultation and independent examination.
Current status: Council resolve to withdraw the Cambridge draft CIL Charging Schedule from Examination
A Draft CIL Charging Schedule was submitted for independent examination by a Planning Inspector on 28 March 2014, alongside the Cambridge Local Plan 2014 - Proposed Submission. The Planning Inspectorate appointed the same Inspector to examine firstly the Local Plan and then, following the conclusion of the Local Plan examination, the draft Charging Schedule.
Because of the time that elapsed since submission and the changes in circumstances during that time, on 3 October 2017 the City Council took the decision, in accordance with Regulation 18 of the Community Infrastructure Levy Regulations 2010 (amended), to withdraw the draft Charging Schedule from Examination. The Report to the Environment Scrutiny Committee contains the full background behind the decision.
The Council will review the situation once the Inspector’s Report on the Local Plan is received, taking account of matters including:
- The government’s proposed review of the CIL regulations;
- The emergence of the Cambridge and Peterborough Combined Authority; and
- The consequence of modifications to the Local Plan made by the Inspector.
Draft CIL Charging Schedule 2013
Consultation on the Draft CIL Charging Schedule ran from 9am on 28 October 2013 to 5pm on 9 December 2013.
You can view the responses via the online consultation system.
Submission and examination documents
The Draft CIL Charging Schedule was submitted for independent examination by a Planning Inspector on 28 March 2014. Submitted documents and other documents related to the examination are listed below
Submission stage: March 2014
- CIL/010: Draft CIL Charging Schedule – Submission Version [PDF, 0.3MB]
- CIL/020: Draft CIL Charging Schedule – Supporting Information Summary [PDF, 0.5MB]
- CIL/030: Draft CIL Regulation 123 List [PDF, 0.3MB]
- CIL/040: Draft Planning Obligations Strategy SPD [PDF, 0.8MB]
- CIL/050: Regulation 19(1)(b) Statement – Report of Draft Charging Schedule Representations [PDF, 0.8MB]
- CIL/060: Regulation 19(1)(c) copy of representations made on the Draft CIL Charging Schedule [PDF, 1MB]
- CIL/070: Draft CIL Instalment Policy [PDF, 0.3MB]
- CIL/080: Draft CIL Charging Schedule Notice of Submission [PDF, 0.2MB]
- CIL/090: Draft CIL Charging Schedule Statement of Compliance [PDF, 0.5MB]
Draft CIL charging schedule consultation: October/December 2013
- CIL/100: Draft CIL Charging Schedule and Supporting Information Consultation Document [PDF, 0.8MB]
- CIL/110: Regulation 16 Statement of Representations Procedure [PDF, 0.2MB]
- CIL/120: Preliminary Draft Charging Schedule Statement of Consultation [PDF, 2MB]
- CIL/130: Draft CIL Charging Schedule and Supporting Information Consultation Covering Letter [PDF, 0.1MB]
- CIL/140: Draft CIL Charging Schedule Consultation – Newspaper Notice – Cambridge Evening News [PDF, 0.1MB]
- CIL/150: Cambridge Community Infrastructure Levy Equalities Impact Assessment [PDF, 0.2MB]
Preliminary draft CIL charging schedule stage: March/April 2013
- CIL/160: Cambridge City Council Preliminary Draft Charging Schedule - Consultation Document [PDF, 0.9MB]
- CIL/170: Preliminary Draft Charging Schedule Notice [PDF, 97Kb]
- CIL/180: Preliminary Draft Charging Schedule Consultation Covering Letter [PDF, 25Kb]
- CIL/190: Cambridge and South Cambridgeshire Infrastructure Delivery Study Update 2013 [PDF, 2.5MB]
- CIL/195: Cambridge and South Cambridgeshire Infrastructure Delivery Study 2012 – Executive Summary [PDF, 2MB]
- CIL/200: Cambridge and South Cambridgeshire Infrastructure Delivery Study 2012 [PDF, 16.5MB]
- CIL/210: CIL Viability Assessment [PDF, 7.5MB]
- CIL/220: SHLAA and Potential Site Allocations High Level Viability Assessment [PDF, 1MB]
- CIL/230: Local Plan – Student Housing Affordable Housing Study [PDF, 0.9MB]
- CIL/240: Cambridge City Council Local Plan – Small Sites Affordable Housing Viability Study [, 1.5MB]
- CIL/250: Cambridge Local Plan 2014 - Proposed Submission [PDF, 25MB]
- CIL/260: Draft Affordable Housing Supplementary Planning Document [PDF, 0.5MB]
Other supporting documents
Hard copies of the submission documents for both the Cambridge Local Plan 2014 are available to view at Cambridge City Council’s Customer Service Centre at Mandela House, 4 Regent Street, Cambridge, CB2 1BY between 9am and 5.15pm on weekdays.