Skip To Main Content

Cambridge City Council

Subscribe to email notifications of our service updates and news releases

Coronavirus: Updates and information

Find out about available support and how to offer help. Our customer service centre is open to help you by email and phone. Please continue to follow official NHS and government advice.

Planning applications system unavailable from 21 to 26 January

The system will be unavailable from 5pm on Thursday 21 January until 9am on Tuesday 26 January, while we implement the final stage of a major upgrade to the system.

Choosing an architect, surveyor or building engineer

The Architects Registration Board (ARB) is the body set up by parliament as the independent UK regulator of architects.

For an individual to use the title architect he or she must be registered with the ARB.

  • There are around 34,000 architects on the register; you can search the ARB online register to find an architect near you.

Or, you could appoint a Chartered Architectural Technologist who can also lead your project from inception to completion.

Surveyors must be members of the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS).

The Chartered Association of Building Engineers (CABE) is a leading body for professionals specialising in the design, construction, evaluation and maintenance of building construction.

Before choosing any professional advisor, you might want to think about:

  • talking to a number who specialise in the type of work you are thinking of doing
  • whether you want to work with a professional from a large, medium or small practice
  • seeking a personal recommendation from family or friends