Changes to bin collections in February 2017
New bin collection rounds that will work in Cambridge and across south Cambridgeshire began on 27 February 2017.
Update on changes to bin collections
Bin collection days changed for 80% of households in Cambridge and South Cambridgeshire on 27 February. Thank you to all residents for your assistance in helping us adapt to our new rounds, which have been introduced to:
- Drive 20,000 miles less per year on collection rounds
- Contribute to savings of £700k over three years
- Provide a service that reflects the growth and pace of change in the area
Our bin crews are out collecting more than 30,000 bins each weekday, and many are learning new routes, so we apologise for missing some bins since the changes were introduced. Despite this:
- We believe we are successfully picking up 95% of bins when we say we will
- We are aiming to collect any missed bins that are reported within four working days
- Our crews are working on weekends to help catch up when necessary
It is likely that your bin collection day has changed, possibly along with the sequence (black bin or blue and green bins) in which your bins are emptied.
How the changes may have affected you
Even if your bin day or sequence has not changed, your bins may be collected earlier or later than you were used to, so please ensure you put your bins out by 7am to avoid missing your collection.
You can find out your new collection arrangements on our bin day postcode search. Please note that at present this only includes information for properties which have to put their bins out for collection. It does not include collection days for flats with bin stores which the bin crews access directly.