Skip To Main Content

Cambridge City Council

Brexit advice

The government publishes regularly updated guidance to help individuals and businesses know what to do following the end of transition.

For up-to-date guidance and advice for EU citizens living in the United Kingdom who wish to stay in the UK after it leaves the EU, read about the EU Settlement Scheme.

You can sign up to receive email updates about Brexit. These include information about the article 50 process, negotiations, and announcements about policy changes as a result of Brexit.

Information for residents

The government has provided guidance for individuals and families and for visiting the EU, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland or Liechtenstein.

EU citizens’ rights

The deadline for most people to apply to the EU Settlement Scheme was 30 June 2021.

If you or your family are from the EU, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland or Liechtenstein, you can still apply if you or a family member were living in the UK by 31 December 2020. You must also either:

  • meet one of the criteria for a later deadline to apply
  • have ‘reasonable grounds’ for not applying by 30 June 2021

The government has published a factsheet for late applicants. You can also contact the EU Settlement Resolution Centre at or 0300 123 7379.

The scheme fully opened on 30 March 2019. You can sign up to receive email updates about the status of EU citizens in the UK.

The government has translated its guidance on the Settlement Scheme in all 26 EU languages. They have also provided a partnership pack to help community leaders promote the scheme.

Cambridge Citizens Advice Bureau (CAB) can help with advice on whether you are entitled to settled status. If you are, they can explain how you can do this yourself by downloading the government app to your smartphone. They can also explain what documents you need to verify who you are, such as a passport.

If you are not able to do this yourself they will explain who locally can help you through the process – see also the information about Cambridge Ethnic Community Forum and Cambridge Online, below.

If you need help from Cambridge CAB, you can phone them during office hours or write to them – find out how to get advice from CAB. They are currently unable to offer face-to-face appointments or drop-in sessions.

Cambridge Ethnic Community Forum (CECF) can provide assisted digital support for people needing help with an application for EU Settled Status through the EU Settlement Scheme. This is by appointment only – you can book an appointment by calling We-Are-Digital on 0333 344 5675. CECF cannot provide immigration advice on any EEA applications.

Local charity Cambridge Online is also able to help you through the government’s EU SS assisted digital project, a service for people needing digital help for EU SS. As with the support offered by CECF, you must contact the co-ordinating organisation, We-are-Digital, on 0333 344 5675 to arrange an appointment with Cambridge Online.

Cambridge Online is not able to provide advice or guidance, they can only help you through the digital process.

Cambridge Central Library also offers assisted digital support with online EU SS applications.

Make sure anybody that offers you advice or services relating to immigration matters is properly accredited.

You can find a list of accredited bodies operating in Cambridge on the government’s adviser finder – type ‘Cambridge’ into the ‘postcode or location’ search field.

EFTA citizens’ rights

The government has reached agreements on the rights of citizens of Switzerland and Norway, Iceland and Liechtenstein, allowing them to use the Settlement Scheme. These agreements are subject to ratification. The policy paper includes a statement on EFTA citizens’ rights in the event of no deal.

Driving with an EU licence

Check the guidance on driving abroad.

Information for businesses and employers

The government provides guidance for businesses following the end of transition, including a checklist for your business. If you would like to know more and join a future Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy (BEIS) business forum either online or in person, contact

The Cambridgeshire and Peterborough Growth Hub provides local advice for businesses and employers, funded by the Cambridgeshire and Peterborough Combined Authority.

Settlement scheme for employers

The government has produced an employer toolkit to help explain the Settlement Scheme to employees. The toolkit contains a range of ready to use leaflets and posters.

You might also wish to look at information from trade organisations or bodies such as the Federation For Small Businesses or the Chambers of Commerce.

Hidden fields
Was this page helpful?
Was this page helpful?
Tell us why
Tell us why (required)

Tell us why
Tell us why (required)

How could we improve this page?