Most full-time students can't get Housing Benefit or Council Tax Reduction.
If you're one of the following you may be entitled to claim Housing Benefit:
- Students who are pensioners
- Students with children
- Students who are disabled
- A student who gets Income Support
- A student solely responsible for a child boarded out to them by a local authority or voluntary organisation
- A student under 19 years of age and who isn't in higher education
- Students whose partner isn't a student (the partner would have to claim)
- Those getting Disabled Students Allowance for deafness
- A student who got Income Support as a severely mentally or physically disabled person (within 19 months before 1 September 1990)
If you're not entitled to Housing benefit, you may be entitled to exemptions or discounts from council tax.