Skip To Main Content

Cambridge City Council

Benefit for students

Most full-time students can't get Housing Benefit or Council Tax Reduction.

If you're one of the following you may be entitled to claim Housing Benefit:

  • Students who are pensioners
  • Students with children
  • Students who are disabled
  • A student who gets Income Support
  • A student solely responsible for a child boarded out to them by a local authority or voluntary organisation
  • A student under 19 years of age and who isn't in higher education
  • Students whose partner isn't a student (the partner would have to claim)
  • Those getting Disabled Students Allowance for deafness
  • A student who got Income Support as a severely mentally or physically disabled person (within 19 months before 1 September 1990)

If you're not entitled to Housing benefit, you may be entitled to exemptions or discounts from council tax.