Last updated: 24 December 2020.
The Additional Business Support Grant (phase 1) is for businesses in Cambridge not eligible for the Local Restrictions Support Grant (national lockdown) between 5 November and 1 December 2020.
If your business is located outside Cambridge – in South Cambridgeshire, for example – please contact your district council for details of their coronavirus grant schemes.
Grants of up to £3,000 for each eligible premises are available for the period of the four-week national lockdown, depending on the type of applicant, the rateable or rental value of commercial premises, and whether the business was required to close or was severely impacted. Apply online using the application form, below.
The city council’s grant scheme is for:
- Businesses renting commercial premises (or dedicated workspaces) in Cambridge required to close during the Covid-19 national lockdown. They do not pay business rates for these premises.
- Businesses in commercial premises or workspaces in Cambridge not required to close during the national lockdown but severely impacted.
- Businesses run from domestic properties (paying council tax) in Cambridge not allowed to operate during the national lockdown (such as mobile hairdressers, children’s entertainers).
- Businesses run from domestic properties (paying council tax) in Cambridge allowed to operate during the national lockdown but severely impacted.
- Non-essential market and street traders in Cambridge that are required to close during the national lockdown.
- Essential market and street traders in Cambridge not required to close during the national lockdown but severely impacted.
Grants of up to £3,000 for the period of the four-week national lockdown, per eligible business property in Cambridge, are available depending on the type of applicant and eligibility. Apply online using the application form, below.
Businesses can apply for each of their eligible premises in Cambridge.
To be eligible for a grant, applicants will need to:
- come within one of these applicant categories and not be covered by the exclusions set out in our Additional Business Support policy [PDF, 0.2MB];
- confirm that they are required to close during the national lockdown or are severely impacted;
- complete a declaration that their business complies with EU State Aid De Minimis Regulations; and they were not an undertaking in difficulty on 31 December 2019; and
- provide the supporting evidence requested within the required timescales.
Please note that some types of business and premises are not eligible a grant. For example, a business in Cambridge that qualifies for a Local Restrictions Support Grant for a particular property during the national lockdown will not be eligible for an Additional Business Support grant (phase 1) for that same property.
Please see our Additional Business Support policy [PDF, 0.2MB] for more details, including grant payment levels, eligibility criteria and exclusions.
How to apply
You can still apply for a grant for the 4-week period of national lockdown.
You will need to make a separate application for each eligible premises in Cambridge in which your business is located.
Information you will need to provide
Please be aware that you must attach requested documentation to this form, including:
- a business bank account statement covering at least part of November 2020; and
- (if applicable) a current tenancy agreement for a rented property or dedicated workspace in Cambridge.
You will also need to give details of your company registration number, VAT number, National Insurance number and business rates account or council tax account reference number (if applicable).
Applications will not be deemed to be complete until sufficient evidence has been received. Complete applications will be assessed within 7 to 10 working days of receipt.
Contact us if you have any queries about how to fill in the application form, or any further information to send us. If you have one, please quote the reference number of your application form.